LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 idles rough and tries to die after it warms up

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 04:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT1 idles rough and tries to die after it warms up

It will run fine, but with a high idle, if the maf is unplugged. I tested the maf on a separate vehicle and it is working fine, also testing all the wiring and that is fine.

When I start it with the maf plugged in, it will run a little rough(but nothing really out of the ordinary). After a minute or so, I will get a check engine light and the fans will kick on. Then it will start to really run rough and will usually die. If I drive it down the road with the maf plugged in, it will die immediately after my foot comes off the gas pedal.

what could it be?
Old 10-20-2013, 05:31 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolley's94z28
It will run fine, but with a high idle, if the maf is unplugged. I tested the maf on a separate vehicle and it is working fine, also testing all the wiring and that is fine.

When I start it with the maf plugged in, it will run a little rough(but nothing really out of the ordinary). After a minute or so, I will get a check engine light and the fans will kick on. Then it will start to really run rough and will usually die. If I drive it down the road with the maf plugged in, it will die immediately after my foot comes off the gas pedal.

what could it be?
what codes does it throw when the ses comes on?
Old 10-20-2013, 06:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fbody_brian
what codes does it throw when the ses comes on?
That's another issue I'm having actually. How can you get the codes from a 95'? I heard the paper clip trick works on some but not all.
Old 10-20-2013, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tolley's94z28
That's another issue I'm having actually. How can you get the codes from a 95'? I heard the paper clip trick works on some but not all.
Paper clip doesn't work on 95, you need to get a scanner. being a 95 you may have an OBDII connector, but it's still OBDI.

I use a cheap adapter from ebay, and a laptop. it lets me scan and program. You can use datamaster, 20 trial scans.

Quick Reply: LT1 idles rough and tries to die after it warms up