LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

How do I remove the balancer pulley bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I remove the balancer pulley bolts?

I feel like an idiot for asking this question, but I'm trying to remove the balancer pulley so I can remove the opti and I can't break the three bolts free. The engine turns when I put enough force on the socket wrench. How do I keep the pulley from turning while trying to remove the bolts? This is a 97 LT1, if it matters.

A related question.. it looks like it's necessary to remove the opti in order to replace the water pump drive seal. Is that correct?
Old 10-22-2013, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I feel like an idiot for asking this question, but I'm trying to remove the balancer pulley so I can remove the opti and I can't break the three bolts free. The engine turns when I put enough force on the socket wrench. How do I keep the pulley from turning while trying to remove the bolts? This is a 97 LT1, if it matters.

A related question.. it looks like it's necessary to remove the opti in order to replace the water pump drive seal. Is that correct?
If you have a 6-speed, put it in gear so it locks the flywheel/crank.

You can replace that seal without pulling the opti.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:04 AM
Launching!

I appreciate the advice. I was able to get the 3 bolts out but the balancer is not coming off the hub. The Haynes manual says a puller is not required to remove the balancer, but there appears to be some sort of small lip on the hub that is not allowing the balancer to be pulled forward away from the engine. The balancer will spin on the hub now that I have the bolts out, but won't pull forward. Any advice?
Old 10-22-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

I appreciate the advice. I was able to get the 3 bolts out but the balancer is not coming off the hub. The Haynes manual says a puller is not required to remove the balancer, but there appears to be some sort of small lip on the hub that is not allowing the balancer to be pulled forward away from the engine. The balancer will spin on the hub now that I have the bolts out, but won't pull forward. Any advice?
Your pulley should have 3 small holes to use a puller on it.

http://shbox.com/1/engine_front_diagram.jpg
Old 10-22-2013, 12:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by shbox
Your pulley should have 3 small holes to use a puller on it.

http://shbox.com/1/engine_front_diagram.jpg
It does, but the Haynes manual says it can be removed without a puller. I was hoping to be able to do it without going out to get a puller.
Old 10-22-2013, 12:34 PM
Launching!

no puller needed for the dampener, you'll need one for the hub though
Old 10-22-2013, 12:56 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by KyleW707
I'm only looking to remove the dampener/pulley, not the hub. I've got the bolts out and it can spin around the hub but I can't pull it off.
Old 10-22-2013, 01:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by KyleW707
You do need a puller if it won't come off.

OP, continue to believe what the Haynes manual says or use a puller and be done with it.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Teching In

Mine was stuck on there pretty good. Hammered the shiz out of it and still nothing.(don't try that) Took a trip to the auto store and bought a puller, it was off in less than 5 min.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by D-Man304
Mine was stuck on there pretty good. Hammered the shiz out of it and still nothing.(don't try that) Took a trip to the auto store and bought a puller, it was off in less than 5 min.
Do I need to remove the center bolt if I'm only removing the dampener and not the hub? I'm not familiar with pullers and the instructions that came with it are no help.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:16 PM
12 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do I need to remove the center bolt if I'm only removing the dampener and not the hub?
Nope, leave it in there
Old 10-22-2013, 02:31 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=shbox;17770141]You do need a puller if it won't come off.

You don't need a puller for the pulley. I've taken mine off twice without one. Shbox, I'm fully aware of your site, and your write ups and how to's are second to none, I've used them many of times, very helpful. Although, I've never had to use a puller for the pulley itself
Old 10-22-2013, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

what often happens, especially on dampers that have never been off the hub, is rust/corrosion get between them so even after unbolting the damper from hub it may not budge...that is where a puller is needed.

I live in SoCal so wether is pretty mild out here and fortunately the damper has come off just by pulling on it after removing the 3 bolts.......ymmv
Old 10-22-2013, 03:45 PM
Launching!

I went out and got a loaner puller and had the dampener off in 5 minutes. Thanks, guys.
Old 10-22-2013, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

[QUOTE=KyleW707;17770290]

You don't need a puller for the pulley. I've taken mine off twice without one. Shbox, I'm fully aware of your site, and your write ups and how to's are second to none, I've used them many of times, very helpful. Although, I've never had to use a puller for the pulley itself

That's like saying you don't need ex-lax to take a crap! If it's stuck..... You get the point!!

Just because you don't ALWAYS use ex-lax don't mean you shouldn't have some in the medicine chest. Just saying.
Old 10-22-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Veteran

[QUOTE=KyleW707;17770290]

You may not need one, but this guy does. I needed one to remove mine. Not everyone has your luck. Even GM saw the need and changed the pulley design to incorporate the use of a puller. I imagine because the dealer techs were having issues removing them, too.

Quick Reply: How do I remove the balancer pulley bolts?