LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lt1 help!!!

Alright guys, my name is Jesse. I while back I purchased a 1994 Camero z28 5.7 lt1. Well it started having skipping problems and the oil pressure ran at 20 until one day it dropped to zero to which I shut the car off and rolled into a gas station and had it towed home. It still cranks and runs with a little constant knock and hard period knocks when revved up. I was told the possibilities are endless (warped valve, bent rod, jumped timing, sheared cam lobe) yada yada yada.... So I decided to start from the bottom and work to a 383 stroker motor. Fellas im 18, I know some about cars. But I don't know **** when it comes to building my own engine. Its something ive decided to take on with a little help as my first rebuilt engine. I already know a 383 is a 400 crank turned down to fit a 350 block, With a 3.75 stroke, 4.030 bore. Im going with a sb scat crank balanced and turned, forged 4032 flat pistons, and 5.7 I beam rods.. past this im completely clueless man.. I know I want to go with a full roller motor, but im definitely open to other/better suggestions. I need help with it all truthfully so shoot away.
Thanks.
Old 10-24-2013, 07:24 PM
Launching!

Only thing I know for sure on this is that the 90s lt1 had a roller cam from the factory.
I don't think you can use a flat tappet cam in them.
Old 10-25-2013, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

For that ambitious a build, my suggestion would be to find someone reliable in your area, and have them help as much as your budget will allow. And although the LT1s originally came with a hydraulic roller cam, I believe that you could run a flat tappet cam in it, but I don't see any reason why you'd want to....
Old 10-25-2013, 07:06 AM
That's MISTER MODERATOR

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Welcome to LS1tech Jesse! SEARCH will be your best friend around here.

Don't get too ambitious on your first engine build.

Procure and study both these books:

Old 10-25-2013, 08:09 AM
Teching In

to go with flat tappet makes no sense you would have to change everything over lifters will not work opti will not work water pump it just keeps going i have another lt1 complete and i have one in my 93,83 and one just sitting so just know i am telling you from my own experience the only thing the same is the rotating assembly the blocks are kinda of the same good luck
Old 10-25-2013, 10:28 AM
Launching!

pretty ambitious for your first build. Why don't you go with a basic h/c/i and rebuild the engine with all new gaskets, seals, and bearings? Cheaper than a 383 build and will get you familiar with everything.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:47 PM
TECH Resident

i'm not an expert, but from numerous information ive picked up on the forums, with a 383 your going to want a bigger cam and better flowing heads/intake. Otherwise you'll just be hurting your performance with the rest being stock. There is a good cam selection sticky up toip gives your great information on that stuff. I would have to say though, maybe just a rebuilt slightly bored 355 with a lt4 hotcam would suffice much better for your needs. Just a good 383 build will be pricey not to mention all the extras to actually make it an efficent engine in terms of horsepower.
Old 10-25-2013, 01:06 PM

Money is of no problem on this build. Im dead set and ready to make it a 383 so for the ones who post make it simpler you are just wasting your time... now with that out the way. what do I need to know about the top end to really get the most out of my engine? From what I read a full roller motor is the only way to go..... but what else?
Old 10-25-2013, 02:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If money is no object, it's very simple....call Advaced Induction in Concord NC and tell them your goals and they'll point you to one of their heads/cam packages; they get results, no questions about that and it will be a proven combo. What is the HP goal? If under 450 I'd stick with a stock LT1 bottom end for budget reasons...but....since you mention you have deep pockets, go for a forged 383 or 396 if you have a good engine builder locally. Good luck, remember it will be a huge undertaking and likely cost you double or more your estimated budget and take 3 times longer than you think to get it up and running perfectly....eventually it's worth it. Oh yes, try not to kill yourself, as 500+ HP f-body is a lot of car to handle for an 18yo newb

Also, it's spelled "CAMARO" LMAO
Old 10-25-2013, 03:54 PM
Launching!

Look a 383 is going to be pricey. We're just warning you, it might not be a good idea to throw that much money at an engine when you don't know the odds and ins, the little tricks and tips of the lt1, especially with it being your first build. Just because money isn't an issue, doesn't mean you should waste it on a build you're not at all familiar with. Trust me, I wanted to go BIG with my lt1. I'm in the oilfield, so money was not an issue for me either. However, my lt1 was my first full rebuild, and I didn't know everything I needed to in order to build an efficient 383 that was reliable, so I did a basic rebuild along with h/c/i and I'm more than happy with it. Just my .02
Old 10-25-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dub_
... From what I read a full roller motor is the only way to go.....
What does that mean?

I think you need to do a lot of research and not get hung up on buzz words that you might not understand.
Old 10-27-2013, 06:38 PM
TECH Resident

if money is no problem why waste time with a little ol lt1. order a 572 crate engine or a 454lsx. Thats what i would do if money wasn't an issue anyways, but then again when i was 18 i was on a very tight budget and my pockets were the furthest thing from bottomless.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

You are going to accomplish little but waste a LOT of money screwing the car up. My advise would be find a used engine to get the car up and running, use that to cut your teeth learning to work on the car, THEN start doing research on the stroker. Hell the fact you want to use 5.7" rods suggests to me you are getting bad advise. Only reason to use 5.7" rods would be recycling stockers on a 350/355 rebuild.

Not the answer you want but this is what everyone with a brain is going to tell you. When I was younger I had similarly stupid plans and I consider it a very good thing I didn't have the cash to waste screwing up a car like I would have if I had had the money.

Quick Reply: Lt1 help!!!