Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls swap

alright so i have a 87 z28 with a 5.7 tpi. i am looking to get a ls1 or ls3 to put in it. i was wondering what all i have to do from top to bottom for the swap. please help it will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:41 AM
Staging Lane

First off, Read the sticky's at the top of this forum.....Tons of info to get you in the right direction.....There are several decent books on the market on how to do LS swaps....

A lot of what these swaps are about is doing the research, and then figuring out how to go about accomplishing your goal....

Have fun and when it is over...stand back, smile and know you accomplished it!

Then Drive it, and enjoy it......
Old 10-25-2013, 07:23 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Candycamaro
alright so i have a 87 z28 with a 5.7 tpi. i am looking to get a ls1 or ls3 to put in it. i was wondering what all i have to do from top to bottom for the swap. please help it will be greatly appreciated!!
You need to visit thirdgen.org, lots of thirdgen Camaro/firebird swaps are documented on there. Between that site and this one you should be able to find all the information you need.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...third-gen.html
Old 10-25-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty easy swap if you buy the right parts. Most of the swap uses 4th gen parts like the oil pan, accessories and such. Wiring is the biggest hurtle but there are a ton of options out there. I'm right at the beginning of the swap. I pulled the TPI and am gathering parts right now.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Dark SS
Pretty easy swap if you buy the right parts. Most of the swap uses 4th gen parts like the oil pan, accessories and such. Wiring is the biggest hurtle but there are a ton of options out there. I'm right at the beginning of the swap. I pulled the TPI and am gathering parts right now.
What kind of tranny and rear end should I use?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by jblakeslee
First off, Read the sticky's at the top of this forum.....Tons of info to get you in the right direction.....There are several decent books on the market on how to do LS swaps....

A lot of what these swaps are about is doing the research, and then figuring out how to go about accomplishing your goal....

Have fun and when it is over...stand back, smile and know you accomplished it!

Then Drive it, and enjoy it......
I like the last part the best!!
Old 10-25-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

What did the other people that have done the swap use? I'd start there.
Old 10-25-2013, 07:11 PM

Yeah I just can't get enough info from people. They just say they put in an ls1 and don't say what tranny to use what wire harness and what rear end and blah blah.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I just can't get enough info from people. They just say they put in an ls1 and don't say what tranny to use what wire harness and what rear end and blah blah.
Use whatever transmission you want. They will all bolt up. I suggest getting one that came along with whatever engine you are looking to use, as that will be the easiest to get working properly.

Don't forget the LS2 as an option. It's not far behind the LS3 in power, and it's a huge improvement over the LS1.

You can have a harness built, or you can use the harness that comes with the engine. Most of the time you can get the harness, ECM, etc with the engine, as people who pull these engines know how popular the swap is, and want to sell it all at once because it's a faster sell for them.

Your rear end choice is entirely up to you. You can leave it stock, you can upgrade to 4.10:1, 3.73:1....whatever you want.

Take a look at any of the build threads on this site to see what you're getting into. Many will tell you that it's an easy swap, and in a lot of cases it is. For many of us though, it's an expensive, labor-intensive process.
Old 11-07-2013, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What kind of tranny and rear end should I use?
Completely depends on what you are looking to do. A T56, 4L60 and Th350 are all good for a mild street car. The 350 doesn't have an over drive. Same goes for the rear. With an auto a 10 bolt will work for a while. You can go S60 or 12 bolt. For a car like mine that will see a lot time at the strip I plan to run a TH400 w/ RMVB and a brake and a 9" with at least 31 spline axles and a spool.

Quick Reply: ls swap