Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Crank Balancer Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2013, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank Balancer Question

Okay may be stupid question but i wanna make sure. I had my motor stroked out to a 383 & the new crank doesn't have a moon key. Don't you need one to keep the balancer from spinning on crank? Cant remember if the stock crank had one?
Old 10-25-2013, 08:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Never seen a stroker crank without the keyway but doesn't matter, you don't need one. The factory stuff never had one, the hi-perf stuff had a friction washer between the balancer and pump gear to help prevent spinning but mainstream stuff had nothing...
Old 10-25-2013, 10:58 PM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BlkZ28
Okay may be stupid question but i wanna make sure. I had my motor stroked out to a 383 & the new crank doesn't have a moon key. Don't you need one to keep the balancer from spinning on crank? Cant remember if the stock crank had one?

depends on if its a Stock Level Crank or a High Performance Crank....
the Woodruff Key slot can be cut into it while its in the car with a special tool

its not necessary on a Naturally Aspirated LS engine with a V-Belt
the LS Crank is an "Interference Fit" Damper.

if you have a crank pulley that has a keyway, and you want to utilize it, you can buy the ATI Crank Pinning kit and add a sideways pin to the crank that will utilize the Keyway

if you go to a supercharger and need to pin the crank...there are 2 ways to do it...Sideways(as mentioned above) or from the front.

if you pin from the front... Just remember... if you ever have to remove the crank damper, you will probably not be able to get it to line back up without a LOT of luck., the sideways pin is easy to line back up when you need to remove the pulley for any reason.

also, conversely.. if you need a Keyway put in a Pulley....
call a local Machine shop and ask them to "Broach a Keyway" into a pulley for you...
they will have to take a 1.5" bushing, and shave it down a little to fit inside the Pulley, but most of them are willing to do it since its just a few thousandths ...if not, tell them you are willing to pay for a replacement bushing which is around $15

some shops will tell you that your pulley is too hard and it has been heat treated and cannot be broached.....
but I just had an ATI pulley(which has been Hardened) Broached with a 2nd keyway...and it was not an issue...
so if thay say they cant do it... keep calling around till you find somebody who will do it...
Old 10-26-2013, 10:32 AM
On The Tree

Its a forged crank
Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 AM
8 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Its a forged crank

also...be sure to go buy a "Cobalt" bit for the Pin kit if you decide to use one...
and then make sure you go at a very slow drill speed(like 120-150 rpm) and use a Lot of pressure and a lot of cutting oil....
Old 10-26-2013, 09:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Its a forged crank
Will you be running a supercharger? If not, you won't need the key.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

No just all motor. Was wondering if im getting built slip though. My voltage gauge drops to 11 amps at WOT.

Quick Reply: Crank Balancer Question