Paint & Body Work Custom Painting | Panel Repairs & Replacement

Materials for painting my car

Old 10-26-2013, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Materials for painting my car

Ok, so I'm getting my ducks lined up to paint my 99 z28 this winter. It is pewter right now, but I'm looking at going with a HOK Cobalt Candy Blue for the new paint job.

How much paint and clear will I need to order? Does anyone out there sell ready to go kits?

Reason why I ask is because one shop told me it would be $4,000 just for materials to paint the car. That seemed extremely high to me! Of course, the same dude told me it would be $15,000 to paint it (mind you I have a convertible, so no roof/sail panels to paint)!

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

generally you need about a gallon of paint for the average car and CANDY paints can be VERY expensive, you could find your nearest PPG store and see what he quotes you for everything.
Old 10-26-2013, 09:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Daniel Richards
generally you need about a gallon of paint for the average car and CANDY paints can be VERY expensive, you could find your nearest PPG store and see what he quotes you for everything.
Hmm idk what happened to my other post but yea what mr. Richards said... and id get at least a gal of clear. But very nice choice i love HOK and your color choice.
Old 10-26-2013, 10:13 PM
On The Tree

What did your other post say?

Cobalt candy blue is my favorite color out there. I'm throwing in a chrome 4 point cage (a glorified roll bar) so it has some functional bling factor when I put the top down. Couple that with the two tone custom leather seats and I should have a really nice looking car come March 2014.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:07 AM
Teching In

Are you painting the car your self ? If so were are you going to paint it ? Yes I have over $2000.00 just paint on my car ,and I used Dupont ChromaClear 7900S and there ChromaBase Orange with two black stripes. The thing of it is candy colors are very hard to paint(you can get light and or dark spots). And you are doing a color change. The door jams, under the hood and trunk lid. Any body work need to be done( door dings, rust, stone chips)? Big job, let me know.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 19736.o
Are you painting the car your self ? If so were are you going to paint it ? Yes I have over $2000.00 just paint on my car ,and I used Dupont ChromaClear 7900S and there ChromaBase Orange with two black stripes. The thing of it is candy colors are very hard to paint(you can get light and or dark spots). And you are doing a color change. The door jams, under the hood and trunk lid. Any body work need to be done( door dings, rust, stone chips)? Big job, let me know.
Do you have a picture of your car?

It is getting done in my friend's garage. He does some nice paint work. As far as the body goes, it is almost flawless. No rust, and virtually no dents or small dings at all. It is just a tired paint job and has faded around the molding and ground effects. It is getting an aftermarket VFN hood but I'm still up in the air whether to go with a 4" cowl bolt on or the wide Sunoco bolt on.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BigCityFire
What did your other post say?

Cobalt candy blue is my favorite color out there. I'm throwing in a chrome 4 point cage (a glorified roll bar) so it has some functional bling factor when I put the top down. Couple that with the two tone custom leather seats and I should have a really nice looking car come March 2014.
Pretty much the same thing haha. Its ok sometimes when i use that new phone app for tech i might not even have posted it. Thats gona look pretty sharp i think, if im invisioning it correctly. What wheels do you have?
Old 10-27-2013, 04:47 PM
On The Tree

Right now I just have the stock chrome wheels in my garage pictures. When the MWC rear goes in I'll be looking to put Billet Specialty wheels on it, maybe Welds (if I have any money left).
Old 10-27-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Billet Specialty's are sick dude, those are my next wheels on my list
Old 10-27-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

If I were you I would find a color that is close to the HOK. In my opinion you're buying the name, you can get some sweet basecoat that isn't house of color that you won't even notice a difference other than in your wallet.

I would guess for good materials around $2,000. Personally I'm biased towards BASF's RM line up just because that's what I spray everyday. 5300 is some good clear.

You can't go wrong with ppg though.

Just my opinion
Old 10-27-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

oh you know that to do a color change you have to do the INTERIOR too?
That means engine bay (dont think that sanding a strut tower is easy with the engine inside) , inside the doors with the panels off, jambs too, Under the spoiler. don't forget that it costs money for somebody to sand things down too. I see you have the sport appearance body kit too? you have to de-mount, paint, and the re-mount that.

Basically your best option is keeping the same color, exterior only, it will cut costs. 10k+ is not worth a paint job, I'd rather buy a brand new car with unmolested paint.
Old 10-27-2013, 07:39 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by mcalus
If I were you I would find a color that is close to the HOK. In my opinion you're buying the name, you can get some sweet basecoat that isn't house of color that you won't even notice a difference other than in your wallet.

I would guess for good materials around $2,000. Personally I'm biased towards BASF's RM line up just because that's what I spray everyday. 5300 is some good clear.

You can't go wrong with ppg though.

Just my opinion
I agree with you however i love the HOK candy especially and loved spraying it, there arent to many other brands of paint ive used for "custom" jobs so i dont really know to many to compare it to. Would i pay the $ to have it on my own car......no. I fully agree with you on the 5300 and PPG, OMNI is one that i love also.
Old 10-29-2013, 10:53 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by BigCityFire
Do you have a picture of your car?

It is getting done in my friend's garage. He does some nice paint work. As far as the body goes, it is almost flawless. No rust, and virtually no dents or small dings at all. It is just a tired paint job and has faded around the molding and ground effects. It is getting an aftermarket VFN hood but I'm still up in the air whether to go with a 4" cowl bolt on or the wide Sunoco bolt on.
I have $2000 just in paint. I only use Dupont paint. I painted it in my garage. I have been painting since I was 18 years old and i'm 46 now. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails Materials for painting my car-steve.jpg   Materials for painting my car-steve2.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 01:42 PM
TECH Resident

Looks awesome very nice
Old 10-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Teching In

Thank you

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Materials for painting my car