LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trip to the track and a little rear end damage

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 11:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Trip to the track and a little rear end damage

I wanted to run the car in some good air so I went to the local 1/8th mile track Friday night, which was the last night the track is open this year. The car really isn't setup for drag racing but did OK. Second pass out it ran a new best of 7.55 @ 94.3 mph in 550DA air. I waited a bit to let the air cool down in hopes of a better time and MPH. Running on some 16" ET streets back from 03, did a nice burnout and let the clutch out at 5500 RPM, I guess the old Ford 9" didn't approve. Just wanted to share some pics.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

This is an actual Ford OEM 3rd member, not an aftermarket piece. When I put the rear together back in 04 I wasn't making the power I am now and was running a stalled auto, so it was just fine then. I was planning on replacing the whole 3rd member this winter with an aftermarket one because I was afraid this may happen. Luckily it appears only the 3rd member and driveshaft were damaged, T56 and Moser rear housing appear fine.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

First one I've seen on for an f-body that has grenaded like that. Congrats!
Old 10-28-2013, 10:52 AM
10 Second Club

Wow! I always thought the 9 inch was indestructible. Did it wheel hop before it broke?
Old 10-28-2013, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Mystery Bird
Wow! I always thought the 9 inch was indestructible. Did it wheel hop before it broke?
No wheel hop. I'm sure if it was an aftermarket 3rd member it wouldn't have broke, but being it's an OEM Ford unit they are not as strong I've been told. I did notice that during the burnout once I rolled out of the water box the track seemed really sticky as I approached the start line, much more so than normal. They just ran through a bunch of bracket race guys and they seemed to do some better track prep for those guys than the regular Friday night street racers. The last car was an alcohol dragster and I was right after him as they let us Friday night guys start running again. Then I **** a housings worth of gear oil at the start line
Old 10-28-2013, 10:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

daamn
Old 10-29-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LOL....thats the problem with the 9 inch, none of the stock Ford stuff is any good. I have a Strange nodular iron case, with chromoly caps.

Everyone thinks they are so strong, but the stock stuff is not.
Old 10-31-2013, 06:48 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 96lt4c4
LOL....thats the problem with the 9 inch, none of the stock Ford stuff is any good. I have a Strange nodular iron case, with chromoly caps.

Everyone thinks they are so strong, but the stock stuff is not.
Ya, I knew it wasn't nearly as strong as the aftermarket stuff. When I put the rear together 10+ years ago I was trying to save a buck and used the Ford center we had lying around. It was just fine when I was running the 12.30's with a 4L60E on the old engine. I just got the new engine up an running this spring and figured I could get a year out of the rear end, which would have not been a problem if I hadn't gotten greedy and put slicks on it at the drag strip with a T56 and twin disc clutch. Got the new parts ordered yesterday, going with a Strange case, 4.30 gear, wave-trac diff with a PST aluminum drive shaft.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:44 AM
9-Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Did that at the High Altitude Nationals years ago at Bandimeir <SP?>, (Denver) with my old C/SM Camaro. Was using the red synthetic "Climbing Gear Lube" Moroso used to sell. Could hardly get that sticky stuff off your hands. They liked to never got it off the starting line. Joke among my friends is they have my picture in the ticket booth with a sign "Don't let this guy in!"

Yeah, the factory Ford casting was crap.
Bet Ford makes a better one now for racing.
Old 10-31-2013, 11:31 AM
8 Second Club

Stock will never hold up.

Quick Reply: Trip to the track and a little rear end damage