Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire wear

After I lowered my car with Eibach springs and MM spacers I took it for an alignment and I was told the car was within specs and no alignment was needed. Fast forward a year later I got my wheels rechromed this summer and had a brand new set of BF Goodrich drag radials mounted. The tires I took off...nitto 555's looked fine, wear wise. I have about 1500 miles on the drag radials, I looked at the tires today and the insides are completely worn, so much so that the cords are showing. The excessive wear is just on the inside. I haven't been in any accidents or nothing crazy since the drag radials were installed. My question is what could have caused this? Should I have gotten a new alignment with the drag radials. The nitto's where 275/40the drag radials are 275/35. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You have too much toe. The OEM alignment settings are terrible.
Old 10-27-2013, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

In 1500 miles, something wore out. Tie rod, wheel bearing etc etc
Something had to change.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:07 PM
Launching!

My thinking was toe because both sides are worn. What are the chances both wheel bearings or tie rods would wear out at the same time? Does changing the tire size although not drastically, affect the alignment? Also I took the car to STS for the alignment since they had a pit to drive over. A local shop said the car was to low to get it on the alignment machine...haha
Old 10-27-2013, 02:41 PM
Teching In

Every change affects the alignment even just the slightest change in air pressure CAN make a difference. I would guess that it's more camber related than toe seeing how it's only on the inside and not feathering outward. I work at an alignment shop (but only for a few months) so I could be wrong but from what I've dealt with I'd say camber is to negative.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:58 PM
Staging Lane

negative camber is a bitch.
My car is the same way. I also have 555Rs on my stock wheels and the tires are really soft and wear is gone be half a normal tire although i think 1500 miles is a little extreme but camber will do it.
I had a dodge ram on air suspension and i could only get about 5k miles out of regular tires at ride hight and it had camber issues aswell.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by S13brett
Every change affects the alignment even just the slightest change in air pressure CAN make a difference. I would guess that it's more camber related than toe seeing how it's only on the inside and not feathering outward. I work at an alignment shop (but only for a few months) so I could be wrong but from what I've dealt with I'd say camber is to negative.
He didn't say whether it was feathering outward. Everyone blames camber, when more than 75% of the time, it's a toe issue. I'm not saying it can't be camber, but if his car is within stock tolerances, it's toe.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 10-27-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Teching In

Camber shouldn't wear the tire out that fast. Toe and caster being out will wear them out that fast. Back in my import days I had my s2000 slammed it took like 15000-25000 miles to show some major signs of wear on the inside of the tires. Some shops just throw it on and if it's not more than a turn or two out they just charge you and say its fine.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
He didn't say whether it was feathering outward. Everyone blames camber, when more than 75% of the time, it's a toe issue. I'm not saying it can't be camber, but if his car is within stock tolerances, it's toe.
I spent 5 years aligning front-ends on a daily basis and this isn't what I saw necessarily because toe is, on most cars to some extent at least, always changing.

If you're wearing both sides of the tire, you could have a number of things going on including too much negative camber in combination with too much positive toe but my guess is that you also aren't running enough air in the tires or the tires are too big for the wheel and they are "puckering" up.
Old 10-27-2013, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MyslowGTO
Camber shouldn't wear the tire out that fast. Toe and caster being out will wear them out that fast. Back in my import days I had my s2000 slammed it took like 15000-25000 miles to show some major signs of wear on the inside of the tires. Some shops just throw it on and if it's not more than a turn or two out they just charge you and say its fine.
caster has no effect tire wear.

Quick Reply: Tire wear