LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

94 Z28 no crank

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 09:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 Z28 no crank

Hello,
I drove my car to get gas and when I tried to cut it back on it didn't start. I popped the clutch and drove it home. Whenever I turn the key all the lights come on just no crank. I replaced the start switch, clutch switch, battery cable to the starter, I checked the starter, and I replaced the ICM(which was bad). My only guess would be a bad opti spark.
I am in college and I really need helps soon.
God Bless,
Ray
Old 10-28-2013, 10:04 AM
Launching!

What exactly does it do whenever you turn the key over? You really didn't give enough information on the symptoms.
Old 10-28-2013, 05:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you a troll?

Defining "no crank" as engine does not rotate when the key is turned.

From what you wrote it sounds like the engine will not rotate with the starter so you rolled the car and popped the clutch to start it. Sounds like a good plan and sounds like this worked to start the engine.

As such how in the hell could you come to the conclusion any part of the spark ignition system is bad? I say spark ignition as opposed to the starting/cranking ignition system which there is obviously some issue with.

If the car pop started(rolling and popping the clutch) fine then I would have to suspect whomever tested the ICM as bad either did it wrong or outright lied. Any reputable shop capable of testing any ICM should have told you the ICM was not even worth checking based on your description of issues.

The FIRST very FIRST thing you should check in a no crank situation would be grounds.
Did you verify the trigger wire(smaller) on the starter gets voltage when the key is turned to the start position?
Old 10-29-2013, 10:39 AM

When I turn the keys all the lights on the dash show. The security light isn't on and the radio comes on.

I will be checking the trigger wire this evening when I get home.

Last edited by raywzhere123; 10-29-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:13 PM

I checked and there was no juice at the purple wire. Where do I go feom here or what does that mean?

Quick Reply: 94 Z28 no crank