Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 swap in gbody need help with wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ls1 swap in gbody need help with wiring

hello everyone i am new to this forum and i need help i have a 79 grand prix motor is installed in car already i just need help with wiring i have just the engine and trans harness with pcm no fuse blocks the ls came out of a gto not sure of the year please help much appreciated thank you all
Old 10-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Staging Lane

got to http://www.lt1swap.com, there are great step by step instructions there to turn the LS1 harness into a stand alone unit.

I haven't found a site yet that has 100% of the info necessary to reintegrate your cars gauges and such into the engine, but there is a great article on thirdgen.com about prepping a harness from a 3rd gen Camaro to receive an LS1 swap. It will not be exact directions to your car, but the principles should all be the same. That article can be found here http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/lt...p-3rd-gen.html

I am literally about to do the same to my harness right now, just logged in to check for any new PM's before I begin.
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 AM

if you could help me out as you go along id appreciate it
Old 10-29-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Research....

Just take some time to research and read the links above and to also read and understand the Pin outs of the PCM.. which are provided in the Sticky / FAQ in this section.

If you have question.. list them and we will all provide assistance. What I did was create a Excel worksheet with what I removed and added, coments on what and where to. This is what I did for an 99-02 F-body LS1 harness

Trying to find this file and will attach once I find it.. this one is just a jpg that I posted before.
BC
Old 10-29-2013, 05:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by gsregal86
if you could help me out as you go along id appreciate it
I can't really give step by step instructions any better than what has been given on the LT1swap.com site, they are pretty good. I'm almost done with my harness for the engine converting it to stand alone. The work isn't very complicated but 1 mistake will cause you a lot of grief down the line, I have spent more time than necessary labeling EVERYTHING, whether it is getting removed or staying. If has actually been kind of cool, when I started the harness seemed complicated but now after going through it all I understand it a lot better. Take your time and enjoy it, use the pin outs referenced on this site and others for your application, and it isn't too difficult.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:10 PM

Ok thanx once I remove all the pins I do not need what do I do with the ones that the sheet says I do need?
Old 10-30-2013, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Power them with 12v, or hook them up in the respectable places they go.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:45 PM

Ok ? For the engine speed speed signal, vss signal, what would I hook thia up to a 12v or what in the pin out it says those are needed in part of the harness I need and what would I need to hook up to get a injector pulse and ignition coils thank u in advance
Old 10-31-2013, 09:54 PM
Staging Lane

Ok ? For the engine speed speed signal, vss signal, what would I hook thia up to a 12v or what in the pin out it says those are needed in part of the harness I need and what would I need to hook up to get a injector pulse and ignition coils thank u in advance
This is copied and pasted from the LT1swap.com site:

Blue Connector C1:

Pin 33 - Purple - TCC Brake Switch - This wire tells the PCM when you hit the brakes. It needs 12v+ all the time, and the brake switch should "open" this circuit when you hit the brakes.

Pin 42 - empty - Fan 1 Control - This will be empty on 99-2002 harnesses. A pin can be added for electric fan control. Programming will enable the fan control. PCM supplies a GROUND to turn on a relay. If you have two fans, keep reading, pin for fan 2 will be on the RED connector C2. You must wire your fans through a relay.

Pin 58 - Dk Green - Serial Data - This is the Class 2 Serial Data wire that goes to the diagnostic port (OBD2) pin 2.

Pin 19 and 75 - Pink - 12v+ KEY Power Source to PCM. Hot when Key is in the ON and CRANK positions.

Pin 20 and 57 - Orange - 12v+ BATTERY Power Source to PCM. Hot at all times.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Red Connector C2: or GREEN

Pin 9 - Dk Green/White - Fuel Pump Relay Control - This wire the PCM supplies 12v+ to control a relay for fuel pump. PCM will turn on the fuel pump for 2 seconds at initial key on. When the engine cranks or starts, the fuel pump will then continue to run, untill the engine stops, or you shut off the key.

Pin 10 - White - Engine Speed Signal - Tach signal. Stock programming of the PCM will output a 4 cylinder tach signal. When I program the PCM, I can change this signal to a 8 cylinder. This way you don't have to modify your tach.

Pin 33 - Dk Green - Fan 2 Control - some 99-02 harnesses will have a pin here, this was used for the HVAC Recirculation Door control. The PCM would control the A/C recirculation to help cool the a/c system if it got too hot. In an engine swap, programming can be changed to let this control a second cooling fan. Again, PCM supplies a GROUND to run on a relay. You must wire your fans through a relay.

Pin 46 - MIL Control - This is your ''check engine'' light control wire. PCM will supply a GROUND on this wire when the light should be ON.

Pin 50 - Dk Green/White - VSS - This is a signal generated by the PCM, based on information it receives from the vehicle speed sensor located in the transmission. The PCM takes the sensor signal, and calculates the tire size, gear ratio programmed into it, and makes a 4000 pulse per mile signal. This is useful if you want to use a cruise control box. Some speedometers will use this as an input, others, like Autometer's, will hook directly to one wire of the speed sensor in the trans.

To get the injectors and coils to work, you have make sure they are getting 12 volt power from a fused ignition on source. The power wires going to these are all removed from plug C2 then wired through a small fuse box that you have to make. Again, referencing LT1swap.com http://www.lt1swap.com/vortec_truck_pinouts/1999.htm

You should really give that site a good read, it has almost everything you need to know. I found the pinouts and photos to be very useful, I had them open on my ipad sitting on my knee the whole time while I modified my harness for quick reference. I don't want to take any credit from what the author of that site did, an amazing source of information.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:55 PM
Staging Lane

Forgot to mention, the above information is in regard to the 99-02 truck harness for 4.8/5.3/6.0, not sure the year and size of your motor.
Old 10-31-2013, 10:42 PM

It is a ls1 5.7l out of a 2004 pontiac gto with blue and green pcm connectors
Old 10-31-2013, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

ah, here's the info on the LT1swap.com site about that year engine/harness. http://www.lt1swap.com/2004gto.htm I am not familiar with the differences between yours and the 02 truck engine that I have been working on, I don't want to give you any misinformation. Maybe someone here that has swapped this motor will chime in.
Old 11-01-2013, 05:07 PM

Quick ? Ppl thanks for all the help I am going to have to get my 04 gto pcm flashed? Correct it cranks and runs for a whole 2 sec
Old 11-01-2013, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Yup. VATs is kickin in and disabling the Fuel Injectors.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:39 AM

Ok is there a way around it or jus to have the pcm reprogrammed?
Old 11-02-2013, 12:22 PM
11 Second Club

Tune it.
Old 11-02-2013, 03:43 PM

I don't have a obd2 connector or a tuner I'm from chicago n not to sure of any programmers in the area
Old 11-02-2013, 05:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't have a obd2 connector or a tuner I'm from chicago n not to sure of any programmers in the area
There is no way around it... It needs to be tuned to turn it off, Contact one of the vendors and you can send your PCM to them and have it done.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Does anyone have pin outs listing for what can be removed for 5.7 LS1 from 1998 T/A. Connectors on my harness do NOT match what LT1SWAP has listed? Thanks in advance for the assistance. Just trying to do basic 4 wire config.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:04 AM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/3859121-post13.html try the 98wiring.doc

Quick Reply: ls1 swap in gbody need help with wiring