LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1.6 roller rockers wear signs

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 10:49 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1.6 roller rockers wear signs

So I have been chasing a ticking that is mild and intermittent. exhaust gaskets etc. all done. Still ticking every once in awhile. Now I have had 30+ year mechanic listen to it, and he heard the tick. His comment was, "most people wouldn't notice that or do anything about it". Try to give yall some perspective.

Any way pulled the valve cover to adjust the rockers preload. And on a couple of the rockers near the bearings there is a fine metal dust. All the rockers appear to be oiling well and consistently, and the lifter all sound the same with a stethoscope. I also have never heard this tick during the cold.

I adjusted the rockers to about 7 o'clock. The ticking has not returned (beyond the normal sewing machine noise of a cammed LT1).

Is this a reason for concern or do I just chalk this up to normal wear.

Motor is running great. and the rockers probably have around 20-25k on them.
Old 10-28-2013, 11:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anybody heard of rockers becoming magnetized and picking up tiny pieces of wear metal in the oil..Don't be alarmed the metal I am speaking of is normal wear for a motor. No critical failure amounts are being seen.

Interesting statement from Harland Sharpe with similar situation in a 350.

"I see what you are refering to with the metal particles. I have seen this before when the rocker fulcrums get magnetized. What happens is any and all metal particles that might be in the oil will end up sticking to the rockers."
Old 10-28-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Greatwhitet/a
I adjusted the rockers to about 7 o'clock. .
does that means slightly more than 1/2 turn?

on SA RR the tabs can hit the retainer on aftermarket springs/retainers but you would see a witness mark on the retainer. NSA have no tabs so not a problem in that regard

I have not experienced any "shavings" on fulcrum or any other part of a RR on my motors...but if this magnatizing thing can happen I assume it would gather them. Just never heard of that magnitizing deal.

regarding RR wear...you would need to pull the RR and feel for any binding of roller tip or fulcrum. Any part can wear/fail so it is possible yours are wearing or wearing the retainers or valve stem tip if their alignment is not right

Quick Reply: 1.6 roller rockers wear signs