Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

63 Nova single turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 63 Nova single turbo questions

I am working on a LS swap into a '63 Chevy II. I have a TCI front clip. I have a 6.0L/4L80 combo sitting in the car right now. I have a TC78 turbo that I will be putting on the car. I am currently working on the hot side plumbing. I started out with a set of truck manifolds and had to redirect them using weld els and pipe. The passenger manifold is a 2 inch pipe into a 90 which is part of the merge pipe. The driver side is a 2 inch weld el then a v-band to 2 inch exhaust tube. So here is the question: The driver side has the 2 inch exhaust pipe ( with an ID of about 1 7/8 inch) which connects at the merge pipe. The passeneger side has 2 inch pipe to the merge which has a Id of roughly 2 1/8 inch. he big concern I have is that there might be a a big flow difference between the 2 sides. I am considering changing the cross over to 2 1/4 pipe to try and equalize the restriction in the pipe side to side. I used 2 inch exhaust pipe origianally as I was going to try and keep the energy in the exhaust. Please look at the attached photos and tell me what you think.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails 63 Nova single turbo questions-turbo1.jpg   63 Nova single turbo questions-turbo2.jpg   63 Nova single turbo questions-turbo3.jpg   63 Nova single turbo questions-turbo4.jpg  
Old 10-29-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had the same concerns as I was building my set up for my 63, but I used 2.5" for my crossover I brought the pass side around the front towards the drivers side then 180 it back to line up with the drivers side into a Y which exits 3" into the turbo basically I created and equal length set up. I can send you some pics if you send me your email its too much of a pain in the *** to upload them here. Dave
Old 10-29-2013, 08:14 PM
Teching In

Hey Dave, I sent the email in a PM. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I never thought of that approach.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice looking job, I have a 66'nova wanting to do the same thing. What inner cooler are you going to use?
Old 10-29-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

I have not figured a way to mount an air to air, no room up front. I want to keep my hood latch. I will either use a water to air mounted to the intake or will use a water/meth set up. I'm kinda leaning toward the water meth because of ease and i am planning to run E85 anyways, which helps.
Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RB440MIKE
I have not figured a way to mount an air to air, no room up front. I want to keep my hood latch. I will either use a water to air mounted to the intake or will use a water/meth set up. I'm kinda leaning toward the water meth because of ease and i am planning to run E85 anyways, which helps.
I am building a first gen nova with a front mount cooler. I am cutting out the bottom of the coresupport and putting the intercooler there basically behind the bumper. Then I'll cut out the bumper where the plate goes.

I'll probably be mounting it all up in a week or two.

Are you on stevesnovasite?
Old 10-31-2013, 07:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RB440MIKE
Hey Dave, I sent the email in a PM. Pictures would be greatly appreciated. I never thought of that approach.
Did you get the pics? It takes a little room to do it my way, I am running a large frame 88 so I also shifted the radaitor over to the drivers side and was able to get the intake bell in the right side of the grill.
I am runing a huge A2W intercooler mounted where the back seat used to be, the plumbing for it runs in the firewall and down the pass side of the trans tunnel. If you need more pics let me know will be happy to help. Dave
Old 10-31-2013, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Got the pictures. They were extremely helpful. I will be doing something very similar. More plumbing and turbo mounting pics would be very helpful. I started looking at what I could salvage off the current plumbing to duplicate what you did. Hopefully I will have some garage time saturday but I will need to get a 180 and some other plumbing parts.

Thanks for the help.
Mike
Old 10-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Teching In

CAJUNDRAGGER,
I would be interested in seeing how you do that intercooler. The radiator I have goes fairly far down on the core support. Not sure if I could package that way but would like to see what you do. I have not been to Steves in a while. It seems most of the 1st gens on here were there also.

thanks,
Mike

Quick Reply: 63 Nova single turbo questions