Introductions & Greetings New to the site? Say hello!

New to LS1tech jeep owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to LS1tech jeep owner

Hey everyone, I'm getting started on swapping a 4.8/5.3 into my jeep wrangler and saw that this forum had a lot of good info on it so I decided to join. Maybe you guys will be able to help me out!
Old 10-30-2013, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The jeep.

The day I got the engine. Bought it, with the computer and wiring harness for $600. The story was that this guys friend flipped his truck and they salvaged the motor from it. NBD. supposedly it was a 5.3 Turns out its a 4.8.

Ls3 manifolds

Saw some head gasket seepage. okay, let me change the head gaskets while the engine is out rather than in the jeep.

Guy said he put some ATF in the cylinders to keep them from seizing.
Head off.

crap in cylinder one... like, how do you get so much carbon in one cylinder?

vacuumed everything out.

Then as i was cleaning everything out, bringing each cylinder up to TDC to scrape the carbon off the piston tops i noticed something... Cylinder one didn't quite go all the way up to TDC.

Probably a two MM gap

Heres a comparison with a straight edge.

So this is where I'm at... I'm guessing I've got a bent rod or a SEVERELY worn rod bearing. Ill tear into it soon to find out..

It really sickened me when I noticed because I had a COMPLETE running engine with no wires cut from a local pull a part. Had everything disconnected, ready to pull with my choker straps under the headers with my d rings connecting the straps. I left to go to class and pick my disabled dad up from therapy, i come back and someone took the engine AND my straps.

Quick Reply: New to LS1tech jeep owner