LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Strange Springs???

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 10:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange Springs???

I bought a '96 Corvette CE LT4 manual with 5800 (yes hundred) miles from a widow. Car was parked for years and she had no clue as to what her now gone hubby had done to the motor. It did have shorty headers and cat back when I bought it. Since then I found a BBK 58mm TB. It has a very slight lope at idle and I suspect it has an aftermarket camshaft. It had obviously been tuned because it runs great with no driveability issues and pulls strong to 6000 RPM. So I just pulled a valve cover to check lift and lo and behold I noted that the valve springs consist of an outter spring, flat damper and smaller red inner spring. I assume these are not stock..can anyone confirm that they are indeed aftermarket?
Thanks in advance
Bill
Old 11-02-2013, 12:11 PM
10 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

pics/video would help alot
Old 11-03-2013, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chopstix
pics/video would help alot
Thanks Chopstix, however the Valve cover is back on already. What I have is an outter wire spring, a middle flat steel damper and red with white dot inner wire spring. Don't think this is OEM as I dont remember GM ever producing coompletely painted valve springs. Different colored "dots" on the wire for easy ID, YES; but completely painted NO. Could be wrong which is why I'm looking for help.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:18 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I would say yes they are aftermarket. They are still old though.

I would consider pulling a handful and getting them tested, granted you don't know what they should be but if you find a lot of variation you still know it is time for a change. I know it is a hassle but a whole lot cheaper and easier than what happens if something fails.
Old 11-03-2013, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
I would say yes they are aftermarket. They are still old though.

I would consider pulling a handful and getting them tested, granted you don't know what they should be but if you find a lot of variation you still know it is time for a change. I know it is a hassle but a whole lot cheaper and easier than what happens if something fails.
Thanks 96 I'm pretty sure they are aftermarket as we'll!
Old 11-03-2013, 07:10 PM
12 Second Club

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Red dot was on my crane duals but no damper.

Quick Reply: Strange Springs???