Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ls1 custom exhaust sizing questions for best overall flow.

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 06:21 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default ls1 custom exhaust sizing questions for best overall flow.

Im making plans for an e46 ls1 swap.
goals are 450whp. N/A when swap is done and possible 550whp in the future so it has to flow if I decide I want more power.

from my search it looks like ill be making this header/design (see pic)

sizing however isnt mentioned. and to meet my goals I been crunching some numbers and so please let me know what you think.

what what Ive read 1 3/4" is best.

then merge two into a 2 1/4" pipe.

then merge those two pipes into a 3" pipe

from both headers will be merge into a single collector (see second pic)

then out into a SINGLE 3.5" exhaust/cat back.

what do you guys think?

also could use some input on other sizes that i have considered.

will there be gains to be had from 3.5" vs 4" single cat back?

also since I might be limited on room so would this perform just as well?

1 3/4" start

then merge two into a 2 " pipe.

then merge those two pipes into a 2.5" pipe

from there Y collector into a full 3" or 3.5" exhaust

please advise. I dont want to go bigger than I have to for my goals.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails ls1 custom exhaust sizing questions for best overall flow.-77f4d31b.jpg   ls1 custom exhaust sizing questions for best overall flow.-dscn3031.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Homer_Simpson (12-26-2021)
Old 11-03-2013, 06:18 AM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Looks like a solid plan to me, essentially making your own Tri-Y headers. Props for thinking of scavenging. I'd definitely study the design of the Phadt Tri-Y to ensure you're matching the correct two primaries together to promote the scavenging effect.

For your goals I think 3.5" will be plenty.

Only two things to consider would possibly be stepping the primaries from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" before the 2 1/4" tri-y merge, and possibly a 4" I-pipe with a cutout. Place a transition after the I-pipe to go 3" or 3.5" over the axle if it saves you room at that point. Open the cutout when you want the bit of additional HP.

Either way, looks good. For less of a hassle I think you'll be good with the 3.5" pipe.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
Looks like a solid plan to me, essentially making your own Tri-Y headers. Props for thinking of scavenging. I'd definitely study the design of the Phadt Tri-Y to ensure you're matching the correct two primaries together to promote the scavenging effect.

For your goals I think 3.5" will be plenty.

Only two things to consider would possibly be stepping the primaries from 1 3/4" to 1 7/8" before the 2 1/4" tri-y merge, and possibly a 4" I-pipe with a cutout. Place a transition after the I-pipe to go 3" or 3.5" over the axle if it saves you room at that point. Open the cutout when you want the bit of additional HP.

Either way, looks good. For less of a hassle I think you'll be good with the 3.5" pipe.

from what ive read online headers with 1 7/8 loose torque all through out and gain very little peak hp. It seems that it isnt worth it unless your after big power or have big cubes.

as far as cutout.

im trying to avoid using it if I dont need it.
ive had them on all my turbo cars and it takes 10 sec to open then another 10 sec to close. and I had the wireless controller so its just one click. I think i just prefer not having it.

since I dont have any axle to go over my only main concern is ground clearance. I guess I will try to see if I can fit 4" first.

thanks
Old 11-03-2013, 03:15 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by LS325ci
from what ive read online headers with 1 7/8 loose torque all through out and gain very little peak hp. It seems that it isnt worth it unless your after big power or have big cubes. as far as cutout. im trying to avoid using it if I dont need it. ive had them on all my turbo cars and it takes 10 sec to open then another 10 sec to close. and I had the wireless controller so its just one click. I think i just prefer not having it. since I dont have any axle to go over my only main concern is ground clearance. I guess I will try to see if I can fit 4" first. thanks
I guess you haven't read that much here then, bc that myth has been debunked I don't know how many times. 1 7/8 primaries gain EVERYWHERE, even on a stock cubed car.

I'm with you on the cutout. I wouldn't want to run one either. Just something else to fail or break.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

Originally Posted by dr_whigham
I guess you haven't read that much here then, bc that myth has been debunked I don't know how many times. 1 7/8 primaries gain EVERYWHERE, even on a stock cubed car.

I'm with you on the cutout. I wouldn't want to run one either. Just something else to fail or break.
Yup. I've spoken at length w/ Brian Tooley about this. The only times 1 7/8 weren't a benefit is with larger than stock size exhaust valves.

Quick Reply: ls1 custom exhaust sizing questions for best overall flow.