Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 in CJ7

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2013, 11:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 in CJ7

Hello, I am a long time lurker here and have learned an incredible amount about this swap. Right now i am almost complete with my 5.3 swap into a 1985 Jeep CJ7. I am in California so smog legal is a must. I haven't documented this as well as I probably should have, but it's been done a lot. I had a local shop do the PCM programming, and the harness. Well, to say I'm un happy would be an understatement. I'm going through the harness, and both bank 1 o2 sensor connectors were cut off! The engine is from a 2000 Yukon, so it uses the heated o2 sensors from what I can tell. I have all the wires identified, but developed a question; can new connectors be spliced into the harness with no ill effects? Or do I need to suck it up and try to find another harness? I want this thing to go through smog, and run as if from the factory. Thanks for ALL of the info here!!!
Old 11-03-2013, 12:59 PM
Teching In

Do it correctly & solder the connections. You shouldn't have any issues.
Old 11-03-2013, 04:21 PM
Teching In

Thanks! That's what I figured, but wanted to hear from someone else it would be ok. I appreciate your help!

These are the last two items I need to do, and should have the Jeep running this week. Then it's off to the State Referee for him to go over everything I did.

This;

is getting this:

[/URL]
Old 11-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Teching In

I am using a 4L60E that I rebuilt, engine is a LM7 from 2000 Yukon, Advance adapters for transmission adapters, Novak for the motor mounts, everything is in except fuel system, and wiring harness. I finished the front fenders today, will probably finish harness tomorrow night. Goal is to go 4 wheeling black friday.
Old 01-29-2014, 10:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

nice looking jeep, any updates?
Old 11-11-2014, 09:27 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by welldonecj7
nice looking jeep, any updates?
I should probably log on more often!

Yes,
Jeep passed smog referee on 2nd attempt. 1st trip I was dinged for a non stickered CAI, no plug on the transmission gear indicator switch, and the evap monitors would not come up. Turns out the evap only operates between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank rom what I understand. So I put a small resistor inline so the ECM believes it is at 1/2 a tank of fuel.

The Jeep runs great! I am getting 21-23 on the highway, and a solid 16-17 in town depending on my right foot. It is SO much better to drive now!

Thank you all for the fantastic info I gained form this site!!!!!!

Quick Reply: 5.3 in CJ7