Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

tire slime / fix a flat

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 08:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default tire slime / fix a flat

ok well i have ditched run flats and have no spare. I seem to have a tire with a slow leak but i cant find a puncture anywhere.

- does tire slime **** up the air preasure sensor?

i really dont have time to take off the wheel and have it at a shop for a day to be aired up submerged and watched where the bubbles come from and ****. its my DD.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:09 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some bottles will say sensor safe on them
Old 11-04-2013, 08:11 AM
Staging Lane

I used it one time it made my wheel unbalanced but it held the air
Old 11-04-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Do not use this stuff on anything you care about. If it is left inside the tire long enough, it promotes rust on steel wheels and just makes a huge mess in general.

Go somewhere and get the tire fixed properly and follow the instructions on this site for installing a full size spare.

Good Luck!
Old 11-04-2013, 05:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

If you do use it make sure to warn whatever tech takes the tire off the rim next. It leaves stinky liquid in the tire and makes a mess. Pisses the guys off.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:03 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Since when does it take a day for them to submerge a tire and find a slow leak? Using fix-a-flat is just going to result in more inconvenience at a later date, as it'll be more work to get that **** cleaned up and the tire fixed.

Have you tried tightening the valve stem nut a bit? On two occasions I've had slow leaks develop at the valve stem because the nut that holds the TPMS sensor in place has loosened up a bit.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spray bottle with dish soap and water, pump the tire up to its max PSI and start spraying the soapy solution all around the tire and bead.......you'll be able to find the leak when you see the bubbles filling up. You dont even have to take the wheel off the car to do it. If you have the wheel weights that you hit on the lip id start there.
Old 11-05-2013, 09:54 PM
TECH Resident

Fix a flat does quite a number to the interior finish of an alloy wheel. I personally would never use it after seeing the results first hand. As far as a difficult leak, on more than one occasion I've had to have a tire re mounted on a wheel and get the beads cleaned up while the tire was off in order to stop the leak. Both times it occurred on winter wheels that have had the same tires mounted for years. I've also had a valve stem dry rot on the inside causing a leak.
Old 11-05-2013, 10:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only stuff that works well is a product called Ride-On. Unless you have a bad bead along the lip of the rim then you will always have a leak. Popular with motorcyclists it works for car tires too. If you use it I think it will solve your problem. Remove any wheel weights when you use it, and it will balance your wheel continuously. While I don't use it regularly because of the cost I did run it for a set of tires on my bike and it did its job well. It does not mess up the wheels or anything like the other products. It wipes right off the inside of the rim or washes off very easily, it is water soluble. Actually when I changed my tires there was none on the rim at all, it forms itself to the tire.

You can buy it direct or at motorcycle dealerships. A 16oz bottle for one tire is about $20, it's not cheap but it actually works.

Last edited by MN_V; 11-05-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 12:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

AAIIC i think my issue is with the TPS to valve stem area as well, i will check it out. i just havent had time to get it to a shop, it would be nice if i could fix it myself. and yes they will need my car for longer than i have on say a lunch break.
Old 11-06-2013, 01:09 PM
Launching!

I don't carry a spare in a couple of my cars either, just have a Victor self vulcanizing tire plug kit and foot pump in an old duffle bag I throw in whichever one I'm in. Also used to carry it on the bikes before finally getting rid of all of them. Used it probably a dozen times including on two bikes. Only one I eventually replaced the tire on before it was worn out was one of the bikes since it was in the front tire and threw the balance off enough to vibrate at 70-80mph.
*These are supposed to be for temporary repair until the tire can be removed, inspected, and a seal added but they always turn into permanent for me.

Last edited by SSellers; 11-06-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used plugs in my quad in the desert countless times. Seriously tortured them as well. I wouldn't hesitate to use them in a car. Only issue is its a pain at night when you can't see. So a spare is nice in that aspect
Old 11-07-2013, 07:23 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by bigti99a
AAIIC i think my issue is with the TPS to valve stem area as well, i will check it out. i just havent had time to get it to a shop, it would be nice if i could fix it myself.
It takes an 11mm or 12mm socket. Tighten it a bit, see if that fixes it.

Originally Posted by bigti99a
and yes they will need my car for longer than i have on say a lunch break.
Because you have really, really short lunch breaks, or because tire shops in Baltimore don't know how to do the most basic of tire repairs that can be done in probably 5-10min anywhere else in the country?
Old 11-07-2013, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I bet you have a bent/cracked wheel......ask me how I know.......
Old 11-08-2013, 08:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

that would really blow. i doubt it. no vibrations and i mean its like a slow bleed. like weeks go by before i have to air up. i may loose liek 4lbs in 3-4 weeks. but its consistant.

Quick Reply: tire slime / fix a flat