Chevrolet Camaro 1967-2002 The forum for diehard Camaro fans

Just got a 98 Z28...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Just got a 98 Z28...

It's not going to win any beauty contests and it's not a well maintained car, but I was looking to spend a lot and the major parts are solid. Plus, it came with a some suspension upgrades and a 12 point axle, is manual, and no T tops.

My plans are to go through things and fix what I need, but leave most of it alone and ugly. So, I'll be fixing the brakes (upgrade soon) and window motors. I'll be adding a stereo, it's a must for me. The steering shaft leads to a joint on the rack and the coupled part on that shaft has play. I could use info on that or I'll figure it out later when I get to it. Also, of the A/C is new and works great but it only blows on my feet, so that is a must in Florida.

My main question is on my main change and where all the money will be going. I'm going to be pulling the LS1 and putting in a built LS3 stroked to 416ci with a Holley Dominator ECU controlling it. I'm hoping to get about 540HP to the wheels, just to rub it in my Mustang fan friends face. That isn't the only reason for doing this, I swear. I'd like to know if I can keep ABS without the factory computer in the car and if yes what I have to do to keep it.

Thanks
Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Be easier to go with a FAST intake and maintain the factory wiring and computer. The 98 ecu isn't easy to tune but a competent tuner shouldn't have an issue.
Old 11-09-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not an option. Looking to get more experience with the Holley system in different situations. I bought this car just to put one of our standard 416 motors in it with this system. I currently only get a few hours to a couple days to tune on them and want to have one always around to try some new ideas.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 0silverado4
Be easier to go with a FAST intake and maintain the factory wiring and computer. The 98 ecu isn't easy to tune but a competent tuner shouldn't have an issue.
What 0silverado4 said about the PCM. I would change it out to a 99' or above for easier tunning. For the A/C, probably just need to refill and make sure you are filling while the switch is on the face not feet. That's how I used to refill it. Not sure if it makes a dif. or not. Seemed to work for me. For the steering, is it the plastic piece that is moving around? Cause that's normal. That's just a cover. Or does the whole steering shaft move. There is a bolt that connects the two near the rack.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

just keep the stock brain and have a good tuner tune it. buy the MAP sensor extension 24x to 56x reluctor conversion box from ligenfelter.. 4 bolt cable driven tb from any of the aftermarket TB companies. way easier than swapping a controller into it.

Quick Reply: Just got a 98 Z28...