Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2nd gen firebird ls1 fan swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2nd gen firebird ls1 fan swap

I have used the search feature and have found swap using camaro but the firebird has a raised lip more forward of the support I was wondering if anyone has a detailed write up or any ideas on mounting the ls1 fan assembly using stock radiator for a firebird/trans am application. I am installing the fans on a 79 trans am.
Old 11-10-2013, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used a fan from a 90s Bonneville on mine, the mounts in the picture are 1.5" aluminum conduit clamps I got at a garage sale for $1. The radiator was ordered new from Rock Auto (part # CU-709) and cools WAY better than the stock radiator. It also weighs half as much. My car has had considerable front end mods to get it lightened up, including some chopping on the core support.

Old 11-11-2013, 06:04 PM
Launching!

I cut my core support too. But I used a 79 aluminum made radiator. I recessed mine to have room for cold side turbo plumbing. I think you could do as 81 said and use clamps. I used a piece of aluminum, a spring and a small bolt. The spring is to allow the radiator to move when the body flex's. If you don't allow a little room for flex, you may crack your radiator. If you have access to a grinder/cutter and a mig welder, you can make whatever size radiator you want to fit as there's tons of room in there. Well within reason.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:58 PM
Teching In

I actually had an idea of using the ls1 radiator that has the slots for the fan assembly and modify the factory shroud to hold it in place. Any thoughts on this?

Quick Reply: 2nd gen firebird ls1 fan swap