Any body a mudlogger in the oilfield?

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 09:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any body a mudlogger in the oilfield?

I have been looking at getting out of the plant and doing something different. I have an interview with a mudlogging company. Is any here a mudlogger? What is the pay starting at? Something that can can be caught on quickly if ur a fast learner? Etc,etc..
Old 11-10-2013, 09:28 PM
Launching!

Never worked as a mud logger but I worked with a bunch of them in my 13 years offshore. Depending on what your used to pay isn't going to be great. Job is pretty easy. I would try to get on with a drilling company. There is more room for growth in drilling. I would check out Diamond, Noble, Transocean, Seadrill, Atwood, Rowan or another big company like that. Another option would be to try to get a job on a production platform.
Old 11-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Teching In

I am a process operator right now. but my job is outside lol...so im used to working.

It hard to get a decent job without having somebody on the inside in the oilfield.
Old 11-11-2013, 12:29 AM
Teching In

OP: Check out this company - http://www.noblecorp.com/ I worked for them as an electrician and then a mud logger for another company. Now I am a Pipeline Controller and love my job even more. Working offshore can be fun and the pay is very good. A mud logger on on shore has a lot more travel, IMO, for off shore you just fly to the rig. Good Luck!
Old 11-12-2013, 05:52 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

You start off as a sample catcher, the bigger ones like Halliburton seem to have better opportunity for advancement. I imagine it would be a sizeable pay cut from where you're at now. For that I would strongly second looking at a drilling contractor, in deep water they have room for rapid advancement right now.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:31 PM
Teching In

^^^^^ I agree, check out http://www.rigzone.com/
Old 11-12-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by BizZzatch350
You start off as a sample catcher, the bigger ones like Halliburton seem to have better opportunity for advancement. I imagine it would be a sizeable pay cut from where you're at now. For that I would strongly second looking at a drilling contractor, in deep water they have room for rapid advancement right now.
I did 1 tour as a sample catcher, that was my only stint in the patch. Probably one of the most boring (yet easy) jobs in the patch.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Every company seems different, I have been on jobs where they had loggers and assigned sample catchers to the rig, Petrolog was like that. I have also seen it where they bounce around until they can start training as a logger. The guys out here use it to judge some ones work ethic and adaptability to working off shore but that seems to be the starting point. Right now working for the contractors seems a lot better of a deal for some one just starting out, in Deep Water they're starting out making as much as a lot of what Service Hands start off at but they work even rotations. The service hands that pull in the big money, DD, Tool Hands, Reamer etc, tend to work a ton far as days off shore.

Quick Reply: Any body a mudlogger in the oilfield?