Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

swapping flexplates

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 08:05 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default swapping flexplates

Are all the LS series engines "zero balance"? I have an engine that came from a Corvette and has the Corvette flexplate with the torque shaft mount in the center. I want to swap it for a flexplate to bolt to a standard torque converter. Can I get a flexplate form something like a 5.3 truck engine and use that with no balance issues? Thank you
Old 11-11-2013, 01:36 PM
TECH Resident

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Shouldn't be a problem,get the one that is most compatible with your trans and torque converter.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:45 PM
On The Tree

Thanks, one of the salvage yard guys tried to tell me that the 5.3 flexplate had a different balance than others but I didn't think so.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by txcarbuilder
Thanks, one of the salvage yard guys tried to tell me that the 5.3 flexplate had a different balance than others but I didn't think so.
You are correct. All Gen III /IV engines are internally balanced. One reason you can get away with a non-keyed harmonic damper / pulley on the front of the engine and no counter weights on the flex plate or flywheel.
Old 11-12-2013, 09:12 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have taken the corvette flexplates and ground off the rivets for the coupler and used the flexplates with normal converters with no problem. They are the stock flexplate with 3 holes drilled for the coupler to be attached. I haven't experienced any vibrations or balance problems either.
Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 AM
On The Tree

I am hoping to find one with the converter holes on a smaller diameter circle for a conversion that I am doing. I have removed the torque drive as you have described for some other projects.

Quick Reply: swapping flexplates