Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

NA guy going turbo....Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 05:35 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NA guy going turbo....Need suggestions

I am building a 1984 Chevy c10 swb and ditching my 468 build to go turbo ls. I have an understanding but have little knowledge on turbo sizing, wastegates and such. This will be a weekend warrior type build with occasional track use. I am thinking either single or twin turbo setup (not really looking to get persuaded one way or the other). My fab skills are up to snuff so I will be building the kit myself using flipped truck manifolds. Below is a break down of the engine.

* Engine - 2001 5.3l LM7 with stock bottom end and stock heads with LS9 head gaskets and ARP head bolts.
* Valve train - 2002+ LS6 cam with blue springs and hardened pushrods(length checked).
* Induction - Edelbrock rpm intake, MSD ignition box and blow thru carb(not trying to debate carb vs efi).
* Fuel system - Walbro 255 or Bosch 044 (recommendation) with a Aeromotive return style regulator with boost reference.
* Oiling system - Tap the adapter above oil filter for supply and tap the pan for drain.
* Single turbo - ? recommend
* Wastegate - ? recommend
* BOV - ? recommend
* Twin turbo - ? recommend
* Wastegate - ? recommend
* BOV - ? recommend
I will be running a built th350 with a Hughes converter with 3.08 gears and a 28" tire. I know there is a lot I'm missing, I'm just trying to see if I'm on the right track. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

EBAY. Lol. I'm serious
Old 11-15-2013, 05:51 PM
Teching In

If you don't mind me asking which turbo did you go with? I was thinking ON3 or CXRacing. I'm just not sure on the sizes for the single setup or the twin setup.
Old 11-15-2013, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 41 Likes on 20 Posts

I went a GT45. Mine is being used in a rear - mount application though. People seem to LOVE the On3 70mm though. Best bang for the buck. Just don't skimp on important stuff like fuel pump or injectors.
Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

On those small 4.8's and 5.3's I like the on3 76mm with a 96 ar.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You've never mentioned your goals. What kind of power you want, what sort of spool times you're looking for, or what kind of price you're looking to pay.
Old 11-16-2013, 08:58 AM
Teching In

As for as power goes I've seen a lot of big numbers throwed around, a lot bigger than the n/a numbers I'm used to. So with that said would I be out of line to say 500-550 to the wheels? As far as spool time, turbo lague it's all still a little vague considering I was going to build a 468 with tons of low end torque if that makes since. As far as budget fairly low I don't mind spending where I need to say wg's and bov's but as far as turbos maybe On3, CX racing or Godspeed. Single setup I'm thinking 76mm and twins maybe 70's or gt35's. The size of everything is my sticking point turbo's, wastegates and bov's. Are my power goals doable with the single or twin setup?
Old 11-16-2013, 12:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

500whp is easily doable. Any of the turbos commonly mentioned on this site, even eBay turbos, will get you there.

A single 70 with a good cam and intake will get you 500whp and spool very quickly. Twin 70s are way overkill for your goals. The on3 and cxracing turbos can be had for less than 400 shipped. The on3 76mm being the most expensive but still less than 400.

You can get a Borg Warner S475 for around 700. Its a much bigger turbo though and depending on how much under hood room you have to work with, might be a hassle as far as figment goes, but these turbos are OEM reliable and put out tons of power in case you ever want to turn up the boost a little.

Quick Reply: NA guy going turbo....Need suggestions