Corvette Performance
C5 | Z06 | C6 | ZR1 | C7

clutch in a c6, now horrible noise from rear/trans area

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 07:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch in a c6, now horrible noise from rear/trans area

Hey all. I just got done putting a mcleod rxt/flywheel in a friends c6z yesterday. Upon first start up everything was fine, I got out of the car to check the fluid levels(also did engine work) and after about 20 seconds of running all of a sudden this god aweful noise started, it sounds like gears grinding, and goes away when the clutch is depressed or in gear with the clutch out. so only when in neutral with the clutch out is when it happens. When under the car the loudest point of the noise is right under the trans. Now I'm thinking I somehow messed up the linkage when dropping the unit, but I'm not sure how? Inside the car all I did was unbolt the shifter itself, I didn't loosen any of the linkage. I'm going to be pulling it back out today if I have time, just curious what on earth to look for. I never opened up the rear assembly also, I took the rear subframe, then removed the rear end/trans/torque tube as a unit and it remained on the trans jack while I did the clutch. Any ideas anyone?
Old 11-16-2013, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pulled it all back out this morning and I'm left scratching my head. No visible issues with anything. clutch looks great, see nothing wrong with the linkage or anything for that matter. Only possible thing I could see at all was the slave cylinder, the bearing on the front I can grab it and move it left and right as if it's got some slop. Not sure if this is normal or not, it spins fine tho. But again this is in the front and the noise is much more audible in the rear area.

Quick Reply: clutch in a c6, now horrible noise from rear/trans area