Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch bleeding

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 11:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch bleeding

Ok so I've bled for at least 3 hrs, and 2 liters of dot 3 brake fluid through my 99 camaro and still no pressure. My method was the old fashion open valve, pump master once (hold), close valve, repeat. This on the same clutch has worked for me many times before, but this time there's got to be air somewhere because the clutch 'works' especially the bottom of the pedal movement for a shift or 2 then floors and i have to peel it up, pump it and it's good for a few shifts again. I've seen a you tube video where someone takes a brake bleeding kit w/a acrylic tube and a plastic end and sucks and blows in his reservoir to make the air bubble out. Could i do this with any plastic? would the mity vac help that much? and could i also use the mityvac to push fluid through out the slave? Just looking for any new ideas. kinda stumped.
Old 11-17-2013, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds just like how my problem started. Had to keep pumping the pedal just to get it home. Never found what part failed and caused it, but ended up replacing the OEM Master (2 times), slave and clutch. After replacing all this and the car was still on blocks for 2 months, I still had no gears while the car ran. After pumping and bleeding as you did for days and even trying a mighty vac, I still had no gears and really no peddle pressure and saw no air. I had also installed a Tick speed bleeder, which is a great bleeding method!. Took a few days of bleeding before I found the small puddle of fluid on my driver side floor mat. The brand new OEM MC had fluid coming out of the shaft. All I had done was bleed the car, never drove it yet. Ordered a new Tick Adjustable Master C and all my problems went away. I can only guess that my slave and my original Master were bad. I had 67,000 miles on my clutch and it was not abused or taken to the track. If I had to do it all over again, I would of bought the Tick MC first.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i did the whole vacuum on the tube in the reservoir thing and it did work, a better way that makes it a 30 second job is a tick remote bleeder and the motive power bleeder. Best 2 things EVER. You have to get the european adapter to screw on the reservoir for the power bleeder FYI

Quick Reply: clutch bleeding