Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5.3 Fuel System in a Buggy

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 06:24 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 Fuel System in a Buggy

I'm building a Rock buggy with a 5.3 and a return style fuel rail. Going to a 25 gallon ATL Fuel cell, I want to go with a external pump set up. What would you guys recommend I use from the pump/line/filters? Basically I am pretty green on what to use and would like to do it right the first time,any help would be great!

Here's what I'm working with

Old 11-17-2013, 09:30 PM
On The Tree

Go with an A.T.L. trap door surge tank or something similar. They make with or without the pump built in. I highly recommend putting the pump in the cell. You need something in the cell to keep fuel around the pickup when you're off camber, just the foam and stock pickup hose won't work. A.T.L. uses a Bosch 044 pump on the surge tanks that have the pump mounted to them, but if you want external, a Walbro 392 is fine. I ran the same pump in two different buggies for 8 years without any problems.

If your engine has a return fitting you just need the supply and return lines, -6 is fine. If it doesn't, you need an external regulator too. I use an Aeromotive 13109. I've seen enough failures and cavitation problems with the cheap Corvette filters in these extreme off-road applications that I would never use one or recommend it.

For filters you need 100 micron before the pump and 10 micron after.
Old 11-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Teching In

Thanks a lot, I will definitely do the pre and post filter with an external pump. Probably going to get some Russel SS line as well
Old 11-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Staging Lane

I'd plan ahead and run a surge tank, they aren't hard to fabricate or ebay has some options.

Even with a sump in the tank if you're going hard you can starve the pickup. Especially running at crazy angles like your buggy will be doing. with a surge tank you can run your main tank dry before you have starvation problems

you can run a surge tank with the pump in the surge tank or external, doesn't really matter.
Old 11-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by ctd450
Go with an A.T.L. trap door surge tank or something similar. They make with or without the pump built in. I highly recommend putting the pump in the cell. You need something in the cell to keep fuel around the pickup when you're off camber, just the foam and stock pickup hose won't work. A.T.L. uses a Bosch 044 pump on the surge tanks that have the pump mounted to them, but if you want external, a Walbro 392 is fine. I ran the same pump in two different buggies for 8 years without any problems.

If your engine has a return fitting you just need the supply and return lines, -6 is fine. If it doesn't, you need an external regulator too. I use an Aeromotive 13109. I've seen enough failures and cavitation problems with the cheap Corvette filters in these extreme off-road applications that I would never use one or recommend it.

For filters you need 100 micron before the pump and 10 micron after.
Walbro gerotor recommends 40 micron before pump

Last edited by Jason454; 11-20-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-20-2013, 10:04 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Tongboy
I'd plan ahead and run a surge tank, they aren't hard to fabricate or ebay has some options.

Even with a sump in the tank if you're going hard you can starve the pickup. Especially running at crazy angles like your buggy will be doing. with a surge tank you can run your main tank dry before you have starvation problems

you can run a surge tank with the pump in the surge tank or external, doesn't really matter.
By surge tank I meant inside the cell. There's not much room on these to run an external surge tank. Some of the higher-budget Class 1's and TT's do, but it's very uncommon in rocksports.

Something like these. ATL CFD-600-HP. Bosch 044 mounted to it.

Or a Fuel Safe #ST110, has no pump (picture too huge to imbed, google the part number)

Quick Reply: 5.3 Fuel System in a Buggy