Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

WRX 6.0 swap, t56 spitting fluid *pics*

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WRX 6.0 swap, t56 spitting fluid *pics*

So I was hard shifting my 6.0 swapped t56 WRX, I had red tranny fluid all over my shifter area and it was smoking and all over my switch panel. I took my panels off and snapped some pics of the area it seems to be spitting from.

I did some reading first and saw that a shifter boot seal thing inside that plate is a common thing to tear and leak fluid out of that area...by the pictures I provided do you guys think this is just a simple torn boot problem? Is there something I can do to help reduce the leaking in the meantime without pulling the trans? Should I be worried?

Also I cleaned it up a little but there was fluid all over those 2 12mm bolts also

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 11-18-2013, 12:20 PM
Teching In

ttt sorry for quick bump guys but I really need to drive this thing and not sure how bad this can be.
Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Check the vent tube on the top of the trans.. if it is pluged.. it is possible for the heat that get generated inside will create excessive pressure and cause the fluild to be pushed out.

Are you seeing any leakage from the front or rear seal ?
Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM
Teching In

No I'm not seeing any other leaks anywhere. Thank you I will put it up in the air tomorrow morning and inspect the tube. After I cleaned it up I did a few hard pulls and no fluid...
Old 11-18-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

He stated the problem is because of the design of the rear housing. Unlike the standard T56, the Magnum's rear section (section housing the shifter) is cut differently and one of the huge gears is exposed right next to the shifter area. This open gear fills the rear section with a massive amount of fluid as the gear is rotating. This massive amount of fluid/pressure is why it's being pushed out of the shifter area, if it's not sealed correctly. He suggested ONLY using a shifter that is sealed with a boot on the underside. This is why the stock shifter that comes with it is milled for a rubber boot and then the rubber boot is sealed (RTV, silicone, etc) to the shifter housing.
and

Some of the aftermarket shifters will leak from the top ball joint area attached to shift lever. Most likely from a poor design and/or to stiff of shifter springs which help bind the ball joint area and let fluid out. The better designed ones, including the factory ones, have a rubber seal around the ball joint area. You can check the fluid level at the fill hole to make sure you didn't over fill with to much fluid, at this time also spray compressed air into the case and it should blow out the top vent tube. This will verify that you don't have a kink in the vent line. Try putting the old tremec shifter back on if it came with it.
Just from a quick google search...
Old 11-18-2013, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Thanks...?

Guess I'll try a new shifter
Old 11-18-2013, 06:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know my old T5 did that in grand fashion when I overfilled it. It didnt do it right away, took awhile to warn up and build pressure, then it was an oil geyser into the car. I would double check fluid levels. More pics of the car please, sounds interesting.

Quick Reply: WRX 6.0 swap, t56 spitting fluid *pics*