Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

5.3 lm7 opinions needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 06:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 lm7 opinions needed!!

Just bought an lm7. 862 heads. I'm building up for single turbo, 700whp. I will be driving the car around for a bit with the 5.3 in it before I go turbo.

Wanting forged internals.
Ls9 head gasket.
Decent cam.
ARP hardware.
New crank?
Oil pan.
New springs.
Fuel rails.
Fuel injectors.

That's a broad list of the upgrades I want to make. Anyone have good recommendations for which parts are best as far as brand, part #'s, etc.?

Thanks!!
Old 11-19-2013, 05:11 PM
On The Tree

Bump anyone?
Old 11-19-2013, 06:57 PM
Staging Lane

iam building a lm7 5.3 turbo now. using stock lower end, 862 heads ls6 cam and springs, 80 lbs injectors, ls6 intake, flipped truck shorty headers, 76mm on3 turbo, cxracing intercooler, tial 44mm wastegate, tial 50mm bov..ect.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...impala-ss.html
Old 11-19-2013, 07:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Are you gonna be on pump gas?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Pump gas for now. Eventually gonna do meth or meth/water.
Old 11-19-2013, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

I've been reading a couple threads that say to go withthe ls1/6 head gasket over the ls9 because of price and they're pretty much the same piece?

Would 80lbs injectors start running out around 700whp? Do I need to do anything as far as fuel rails?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:34 PM
On The Tree

96impala, am I safe in assuming that the h2 oil pan in your thread is a hummer 2 oil pan?
Old 11-20-2013, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

Any recommendations on what parts to choose for rods, pistons, bearings? Should I get a new crank?

This is my first time doing a build, and I'm jumping in head first. It'll be a long process, but I wanna make sure I get everything right. Thanks!
Old 11-20-2013, 03:25 PM
Launching!

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Why go forged for only 700rwhp?

Seems to me good fuel and a safe tune and the 5.3 will last for ages at that power level. This isn't an old 1950's small block here!
Old 11-20-2013, 07:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by HeavyMetl
Why go forged for only 700rwhp?

Seems to me good fuel and a safe tune and the 5.3 will last for ages at that power level. This isn't an old 1950's small block here!
Well it's gonna be a street car/ daily driver. No track time. I figured I'd go with forged just for the added insurance. Plus 700whp is a nice solid number that I can get with the tick stage 3 t56 and an MWC 9" without having to throw an extra couple of grand into those upgrades.

E85 is super rare both where I'm stationed at now and back home, so pump gas and meth is what I'm gonna do.

Like I said, this is my first major build. I'm just confused/ not 100% sure on how to choose upgrades because of sizes and whatnot.

I'll be taking the short block to a shop to have it hot tanked, true all the surfaces, and if need be, get it bored. Then I'm gonna go from there. But I wasn't sure on which companoes male good forged internals for these motors.
Old 11-20-2013, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

There's a couple places around Jax, FL that people recommended, but I'm thinking of going to Lamar Walden Automotive. Apparently they specialize in GM and I checked out their facebook page. They have some nasty builds for sure.
Old 11-24-2013, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Looking at Callies compstar forged h-beam rods. How do I know if I need 6.100 or 6.125 inch length?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:14 PM
On The Tree

Also, for pistons, I'm looking at Wiseco forged pistons. Should I get a 5.3 piston or bore it to 5.7, since they have a bigger and less costly selection?
Old 11-24-2013, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Its nice talking to yourself isn't it? I cant believe the number of views a thread gets with not a single reply. Ive post many questions around here just to see them get pushed of the page.

Dude if it helps any, Im doing a 800-900 whp turbo build and im using a lm7.
So far all i have done is sent the block out to get cleaned, new cam bearings, and a light scuff on the cyl walls to seat the new rings.
Im using all of my factory internals. I just put new bearings and rings in it. I bought a new oil pump and a billet single timing chain.
As far as ive seen this stock stuff will take abuse.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by X-Bomb Racing
Its nice talking to yourself isn't it? I cant believe the number of views a thread gets with not a single reply. Ive post many questions around here just to see them get pushed of the page.

Dude if it helps any, Im doing a 800-900 whp turbo build and im using a lm7.
So far all i have done is sent the block out to get cleaned, new cam bearings, and a light scuff on the cyl walls to seat the new rings.
Im using all of my factory internals. I just put new bearings and rings in it. I bought a new oil pump and a billet single timing chain.
As far as ive seen this stock stuff will take abuse.
Ya, it's a little frustrating at times. Haha. If you don't mind my asking, is your setup running or still in the works? I see most of these guys just doing head gaskets, hardware, rods, pistons and not much more.

I'd like to get this build done fairly cheap, but I also don't mind a little extra insurance as far as longevity since it'll be a street car/ daily. Haha
Old 11-25-2013, 03:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Benji17
Ya, it's a little frustrating at times. Haha. If you don't mind my asking, is your setup running or still in the works? I see most of these guys just doing head gaskets, hardware, rods, pistons and not much more.

I'd like to get this build done fairly cheap, but I also don't mind a little extra insurance as far as longevity since it'll be a street car/ daily. Haha
Mine is being put together now.

Oh i did use arp rod bolts.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 AM
On The Tree

I would say do what above posted.. New rings "gapped accordingly" bearings, pump, head and rod bolts, cam n let it eat
Old 11-25-2013, 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by randomninels1nova
I would say do what above posted.. New rings "gapped accordingly" bearings, pump, head and rod bolts, cam n let it eat
I'm looking at getting Wiseco pistons, Callies compstar h-beam rods, cam/main bearings, pump, ARP head/rod bolts, pushrods, a decent cam till I actually go turbo.

I found a shop here that'll hot tank and clean everything for about $150. Should I get heads and all that stuff cleaned while I'm at it, or would it be fine to jist throw them on there as is?
Old 11-25-2013, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

That's going to be an expensive motor for only 700 rwhp. IMO, keep the bottom end stock and run methanol injection with 93 pump. You will hit that goal all day. I've been running mine on just 93 pump at 11 PSI and 540 rwhp. It's been 2 years now and it's held up great besides a few hiccups that were unrelated to the setup. I just installed an alky control meth kit and am shooting for mid 600's at the rear at around 15 PSI next season.

60 lbs injectors have been known to make 700 rwhp so in that sense, 80's will be plenty. With meth though, it takes some stress off your injectors and pump so you could get away with 60's if you went that route. The 76mm is a good size for a stick car. I love mine. Spools quick between gears and it's a blast on the street!

Never heard of using LS1/6 head gaskets...I used the stock 6.0 MLS gaskets on mine and they are awesome. They fit a 5.3 without issue since the bore size is so close anyways. My bottom end is all stock but I have ARP head studs. Very solid combo.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NightmareTA
That's going to be an expensive motor for only 700 rwhp. IMO, keep the bottom end stock and run methanol injection with 93 pump. You will hit that goal all day. I've been running mine on just 93 pump at 11 PSI and 540 rwhp. It's been 2 years now and it's held up great besides a few hiccups that were unrelated to the setup. I just installed an alky control meth kit and am shooting for mid 600's at the rear at around 15 PSI next season.

60 lbs injectors have been known to make 700 rwhp so in that sense, 80's will be plenty. With meth though, it takes some stress off your injectors and pump so you could get away with 60's if you went that route. The 76mm is a good size for a stick car. I love mine. Spools quick between gears and it's a blast on the street!

Never heard of using LS1/6 head gaskets...I used the stock 6.0 MLS gaskets on mine and they are awesome. They fit a 5.3 without issue since the bore size is so close anyways. My bottom end is all stock but I have ARP head studs. Very solid combo.
Hmmm. Ya, I forgot to mention that I'm also doing meth. The only reason I planned on doing those parts, along with injectors and maybe lifters, is so that there will be less stress all around if I'm running that much power. The motor is gonna be built over several months, so my wallet won't take too mich damage. Haha. I asked Martin@tick what he recommended for my goals, which is where I got the wiseco/callies combo.

And ya, I've read several threads where people opt for the ls1/6 gasket since it's cheaper and apparently works just as well...

I'd like to do it fairly cheap, but I'm also trying to get "fast, reliable, and somewhat cheap" haha

Quick Reply: 5.3 lm7 opinions needed!!