Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Single Turbo A-body question

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Single Turbo A-body question

Can I see pics or here suggestions from those running an intercooled single turbo on an A-body without hacking up the front of the car? I really don't want to cut her up and thought I could just inch past the radiator if I bought a smaller aftermarket one. Almost contemplating running without an intercooler and just using pump gas and a meth kit
Old 11-19-2013, 05:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anyone?
Old 11-19-2013, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

There is room to make radiator mounts closer to the engine and put the intercooler inside the core support. Makes things tight though. I did do one that mounted an Ebay unit out in front but required cutting the core support and headlamp bezel inner brackets for tubing and couplers to fit though. One pic down to the bottom of this page but its unfinished.
http://www.one-guys-garage.com/71-ch...7675-6l-ls.php
Old 11-19-2013, 06:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kainedogg
Can I see pics or here suggestions from those running an intercooled single turbo on an A-body without hacking up the front of the car? I really don't want to cut her up and thought I could just inch past the radiator if I bought a smaller aftermarket one. Almost contemplating running without an intercooler and just using pump gas and a meth kit
I'm doing the same to my 69 chevelle. It's a real SS so I can't cut it up.
I'm also retaining the factory AC which is making it a pain.
I'll follow this post and keep you posted.
Old 11-19-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldnt the frozen boost A2W setup fit on the driver side between the inner fender and core support? Its been awhile since I have been under an A Body hood my first car was a 68GTO but from what I remember there is a lot of space their. If you plan to stick the turbo there then relocate the battery to the trunk and put the intercooler on the passenger side. Then all you would have to do is put the heat exhanger in front of the radiator and in theory you wouldnt have to cut the core support just run the hoses under the core support and you would be done with it. You could also run a icebox in the trunk and drop IATs under boost down to under ambient if you go to the track and make a lot more power.

Benefits are less restriction across the intercooler, rated for higher horsepower. Not having to cut the car up. No intercooler showing through the grill for a sleeper look. Units are cheap for the power rating.

Last edited by Preston99WS6; 11-19-2013 at 08:00 AM. Reason: added more info.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guysI will post pics in my build thread tonight. Turbo is on the passenger side, eating up a lot of real estate.

Last edited by kainedogg; 11-19-2013 at 01:46 PM.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
There is room to make radiator mounts closer to the engine and put the intercooler inside the core support. Makes things tight though. I did do one that mounted an Ebay unit out in front but required cutting the core support and headlamp bezel inner brackets for tubing and couplers to fit though. One pic down to the bottom of this page but its unfinished.
http://www.one-guys-garage.com/71-ch...7675-6l-ls.php
I saw that. I will pull my radiator out and see what space I have. The 3" piping is just a plain bitch though.

Originally Posted by Blowerman
I'm doing the same to my 69 chevelle. It's a real SS so I can't cut it up.
I'm also retaining the factory AC which is making it a pain.
I'll follow this post and keep you posted.
Thanks man, and of course good luck on your build. My next project will be a '71-72 Chevelle.

Originally Posted by Preston99WS6
Wouldnt the frozen boost A2W setup fit on the driver side between the inner fender and core support? Its been awhile since I have been under an A Body hood my first car was a 68GTO but from what I remember there is a lot of space their. If you plan to stick the turbo there then relocate the battery to the trunk and put the intercooler on the passenger side. Then all you would have to do is put the heat exhanger in front of the radiator and in theory you wouldnt have to cut the core support just run the hoses under the core support and you would be done with it. You could also run a icebox in the trunk and drop IATs under boost down to under ambient if you go to the track and make a lot more power.

Benefits are less restriction across the intercooler, rated for higher horsepower. Not having to cut the car up. No intercooler showing through the grill for a sleeper look. Units are cheap for the power rating.
I will look into that. Do you have a link for any cars with this kit installed friend?
Old 11-19-2013, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Kaine I had a 6.0/s475 which is about as big as your gt45 in my Chevelle at one point and was able to package everything nicely including a 31x24x3 a/a i/c in front of the radiator with minimal cutting. A 4" thick i/c would of went in with not much more work.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks CHVL, can you get me a few more pics of the top and how it runs from side to side? I would REALLY appreciate that bro. I did not have the option to set my turbo straight ahead like yours. It would not clear the inner fender. My intercooler is 27x12x3, I just wish I had gone with 2.5" piping...lol Is that the factory radiator?
Old 11-19-2013, 08:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 31 Likes on 23 Posts

Kaine, what kind of top-shot are you looking for engine or intercooler?

My car has the factory inner wheel houses - aren't the a-bodies all the same here???

Yes factory/oe-type 3 row radiator. You can see where I had to notch that verticle bracket to get the i/c to fit.

I think your going to have a tough time with the turbo with the way its mounted as far as the downpipe or filter.
Old 11-20-2013, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Quick Reply: Single Turbo A-body question