Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

06-V winter or all season tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 02:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06-V winter or all season tires

I have a 06-V DD with summer tires. No local dealer has "all season" or winter tires in the correct size for this car.

Can anybody give me a plus-size tire size that is more common? In other words same height, but wider.

thanks, --joe
Old 11-20-2013, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can do 255/45 it's .4" larger in diameter. If you go wider than that you can't rotate. 275/40 in the back is stock diameter size but I think it would rub up front. Just order your tires from a site online and have them shipped to an installer or go elsewhere that that dealer. Stock 245/45 is a very common tire size and there's a ton of summer, all-season and winter makes.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
Stock 245/45 is a very common tire size and there's a ton of summer, all-season and winter makes.
That's what the tire shop guy told me as well. I ended up with Yokohama IG20's or something. Ice Guards. Like 800 mounted and balanced.
Old 11-20-2013, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Skinny winter tires are better than wider winter tires. Why are you plus sizeing? Are you using a 19in rim? Either way buy off of tire rack, they usually have the best prices.

I running stock 18s with 245/45/18 blizzak lm 60. Never been stuck yet, knock on wood haha
Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by joe buick
I have a 06-V DD with summer tires. No local dealer has "all season" or winter tires in the correct size for this car.
Do you live in some sort of tire black hole? 245/45-18 is not that uncommon a size on modern cars so it shouldn't be hard to find. Local tire dealers are typically going to rake you over the coals, anyway. Go to www.tirerack.com or www.discounttiredirect.com and shop there. Huge selection, big savings.

Can anybody give me a plus-size tire size that is more common? In other words same height, but wider.
(1) That's not "plus size" - plus size is going to a larger diameter wheel - and (2) if you actually need winter/all-season tires, going wider is the wrong answer.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:04 PM
On The Tree

Anyone used Walmart to mount tires? I called them today for my old lady's Acura to replace tires. The guy told me that for $30/tire, they'll mount/balance and warranty the tires, even if they're purchased elsewhere. Seems like a good deal to me, especially because Tire Rack is a lot cheaper than buying local retail.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mild83
Anyone used Walmart to mount tires? I called them today for my old lady's Acura to replace tires. The guy told me that for $30/tire, they'll mount/balance and warranty the tires, even if they're purchased elsewhere. Seems like a good deal to me, especially because Tire Rack is a lot cheaper than buying local retail.
That's about what I pay at Firestone with a roadforce balance, but the warranty part seems like a steal of a deal if its true they'll cover third party tires.
Old 11-20-2013, 06:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Tirerack.com
Old 11-20-2013, 08:06 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mild83
Got a set of tires for my grand prix there last week. Seemed fine. They did better than sears did the last time I put tires on that car. Kid turned before getting out of the building and crushed my front fender.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea I only use tirerack, cant beat their prices, and where I live they are at my door in a day.
Old 11-20-2013, 11:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks guys. The local shops kill me on price, Costco can't get them, and I don't shop at Walmart.

I looked online, but wanted to shop local, hence the change in size to hopefully a more common size of tire. I may have to order online.

I live in Helena, Mt and it's around 5 degrees f outside with a inch of snow on the ground. I can get by with all-season tires, but all I could find was just summer or winter rated tires no dual season tires, any suggestions?

thanks again, --joe
Old 11-20-2013, 11:54 PM
Launching!

5 guys already said discount tire direct or tire rack. They ship them to your door and you can just have them put on. I just ordered a set of pilot super sports of ebay (discount tire direct)

They have all the tires you could want

Last edited by TeamSorad; 11-22-2013 at 06:26 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 05:50 AM
TECH Addict

I live in Helena, Mt and it's around 5 degrees f outside with a inch of snow on the ground. I can get by with all-season tires, but all I could find was just summer or winter rated tires no dual season tires, any suggestions?
Tire Rack has 23 different ultra high performance all-season tires in 245/45-18. The Continental ExtremeContact DWS is supposed to be about the best of the bunch for snow capability. However, they sacrifice some performance - soft sidewalls and kind of mushy handling compared to some other UHPAS tires. It's always a trade-off with tires.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:52 AM
JDB
Launching!

You found this site... why not TireRack?

I've used them with great results and spent less. Sure, the local tire shops don't like mounting tires from someplace else, but then they should've matched TR's price.. not all of them will, but its worth a shot. All they can do is say no.

Go with winters... Michelin Alpine, Dunlop D3, Blizzak LM25 or the like. I don't understand why people buy A/S (no season) tires, especially when you also have summer tires.
Old 11-21-2013, 07:36 AM
TECH Addict

The local shops kill me on price, Costco can't get them, and I don't shop at Walmart.
Your local Costco should be able to get any of the tires they carry. According to their website, in our 245/45-18 they have the Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 (winter tire), Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter tire), Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 (top-of-the-line all-season), Bridgestone RE970 AS (all-season), and a few other lesser performing all-seasons. Their website says, "Ordering Tires Online? Delivered to your local Costco Warehouse. Tire price includes shipping and handling."

Originally Posted by JDB
I don't understand why people buy A/S (no season) tires, especially when you also have summer tires.
Because they work just fine in the conditions most drivers encounter in the winter, they last significantly longer than winter rubber, they're cheaper than winter rubber, and they perform better when you're not driving on snow/ice/slush (in other words, 99+% of most people's driving)? That's why I have all-seasons for my cold weather tires, but that's just me.

Last edited by AAIIIC; 11-21-2013 at 07:48 AM.
Old 11-21-2013, 09:36 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Your local Costco should be able to get any of the tires they carry. According to their website, in our 245/45-18 they have the Bridgestone Blizzak LM25 (winter tire), Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (winter tire), Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 (top-of-the-line all-season), Bridgestone RE970 AS (all-season), and a few other lesser performing all-seasons. Their website says, "Ordering Tires Online? Delivered to your local Costco Warehouse. Tire price includes shipping and handling."

Because they work just fine in the conditions most drivers encounter in the winter, they last significantly longer than winter rubber, they're cheaper than winter rubber, and they perform better when you're not driving on snow/ice/slush (in other words, 99+% of most people's driving)? That's why I have all-seasons for my cold weather tires, but that's just me.
What all seasons are you running? I'll need to replace my tires after the first of the year. I've heard great things about Continental DWS, thought I'd be going that route, as of right now.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:05 PM
TECH Regular

If you get more than 3-4 inches of snow at a time I wouldn't spend the money on all season tires. I've driven mine in 6 inches of snow, no issues with snow tires. I ran the Dunlop Pilot Sports and recently picked up Hankook snow tires in stock tire sizes. Also, I got 5 seasons out of my Dunlops which I daily drive, they last in the cold.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:41 PM
JDB
Launching!

Originally Posted by AAIIIC

No, it's because you changed your theory on winters v a/s after I bought your Blizzaks 3 years ago.

Note my sig ...with the 2nd set of Accessory wheels that were yours
Old 11-21-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the landslide of replies. I tried the Costco online site, they said they didn't have anything in our size. I don't know how you came up with a selection, but here in the great white north there is nothing available, online or otherwise.

The cheapest online sight I found tires on is Amazon. My daughter has free shipping and it beats all the other online tire stores, on price, hands down, especially when you throw in the free shipping.

thanks and i'll keep looking, --joe
Old 11-21-2013, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

what tires are you looking at right now?

Quick Reply: 06-V winter or all season tires