Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Super Vic., Edelbrock Pro Flow XT, Holley High or Mid Rise Intake For Max Effort 346

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 08:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Super Vic., Edelbrock Pro Flow XT, Holley High or Mid Rise Intake For Max Effort 346

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to switch up my current setup over the winter, and the cam and intake are going to be the focus of the build. My question is, which of these intakes would be better for a max effort 346, with the focus RPM range being between 4000 and 7500 RPM's. Is there going to be a big difference between these intakes on where the RPM range will be and will one shine over the other in the lower RPM range? Whichever intake I go with, I'll have the cam custom ground to suite that given intake and I'll be reusing my current heads, but they will be milled further to bump compression to around 12.5:1. Also, which throttle body would be good? If I go the Super Vic. route, I will be going with a 4150 style throttle body, but have no clue on what throttle body would be good with the other two intakes. I appreciate the assistance guys.
Old 11-22-2013, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Seriously, no one?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have always liked Edelbrock more than Holley. I haven't run either of them on an LS engine, but from 20 years owning small block Fords, Edelbrock always had a better product than Holley. Take my opinion for what it's worth (not much?) but at least you got a reply to your thread.

I actually built the motor mounts for my Mustang so I can get the Pro Flo XT p/n 7140 under the stock hood. I'm not concerned with low RPM performance, my car is light and it has alot of rear gear. However, if you go search through Edelbrocks forums, you can find posts from Edelbrocks customer service reps where they say the Pro Flo when used correctly will make more top end power and more mid range than a Victor Jr single plane on an LS.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by usdmholden
I have always liked Edelbrock more than Holley. I haven't run either of them on an LS engine, but from 20 years owning small block Fords, Edelbrock always had a better product than Holley. Take my opinion for what it's worth (not much?) but at least you got a reply to your thread.

I actually built the motor mounts for my Mustang so I can get the Pro Flo XT p/n 7140 under the stock hood. I'm not concerned with low RPM performance, my car is light and it has alot of rear gear. However, if you go search through Edelbrocks forums, you can find posts from Edelbrocks customer service reps where they say the Pro Flo when used correctly will make more top end power and more mid range than a Victor Jr single plane on an LS.
Thanks for the reply. Good information there. I think the lower RPM power can be taken care of in the valve events of the cam; just wasn't sure if one of those intakes really shined in that aspect. I know all three of those intakes are going to be killer in the mid to upper RPM range, as that's what they are intended for. I'm kind of torn between the Super Vic. and Edelbrock Pro Flow XT. From my research, hardly anyone has run them on a stock cube LS1. Hood clearance could be an issue too, but I plan on getting an aftermarket VFN hood, so I think all three intakes will clear it.
Old 11-23-2013, 07:15 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rise of the Phoenix
Thanks for the reply. Good information there. I think the lower RPM power can be taken care of in the valve events of the cam; just wasn't sure if one of those intakes really shined in that aspect. I know all three of those intakes are going to be killer in the mid to upper RPM range, as that's what they are intended for. I'm kind of torn between the Super Vic. and Edelbrock Pro Flow XT. From my research, hardly anyone has run them on a stock cube LS1. Hood clearance could be an issue too, but I plan on getting an aftermarket VFN hood, so I think all three intakes will clear it.
Going supervic with stock cubes here, probably turn it up to around 7k and I'm sure it's going to like it just fine
Old 11-24-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
Going supervic with stock cubes here, probably turn it up to around 7k and I'm sure it's going to like it just fine
Have you decided what TB to go with. If I end up going the Super Vic route, I think I'm going with the Scorpion TB. It's the lowest profile TB.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Super Vic gets my vote.
Old 11-24-2013, 07:24 PM
11 Second Club

In for results on this. Why arent single plane style intakes more popular? Theyre all cheaper than a fast, and should make a bit more power too. From what I've read with a proper spec'd cam they dont really lose any under the curve power? Granted clearance can be an issue, but still?
Old 11-24-2013, 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

With the Super Victor and the 4150 TB you will be cutting your cowl no matter what kind of hood you used. That is probably the reason you do not see that setup very often. On a all out engine the Super Vic and a 4150 gets my vote it will support RPMs above 7000 with ease.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:15 PM
11 Second Club

Have you decided what TB to go with. If I end up going the Super Vic route, I think I'm going with the Scorpion TB. It's the lowest profile TB.
Bought a used Edelbrock 4150 on here. Got it at a sweet price so I went for it. Most likely will eventually convert to a 4500 but that's much later on. Go Super Vic and don't look back, honestly glad I made the move to do it.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:20 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by fly boy_1
In for results on this. Why arent single plane style intakes more popular? Theyre all cheaper than a fast, and should make a bit more power too. From what I've read with a proper spec'd cam they dont really lose any under the curve power? Granted clearance can be an issue, but still?
If you don't care about your cowl then it's a no brainer for sure.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Regular

My question here is if its a streetcar and you run a super victor and 4150tb wouldn't you have to run a filter on it to keep dirt out, and doesn't that juss kill the power? Correct me if I'm wrong bc I think the super victor and 4150 setup would be nice except this aspect would turn me away.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:25 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WVhuggerSS
My question here is if its a streetcar and you run a super victor and 4150tb wouldn't you have to run a filter on it to keep dirt out, and doesn't that juss kill the power? Correct me if I'm wrong bc I think the super victor and 4150 setup would be nice except this aspect would turn me away.
Some people just take the filter off when they are at the track, and the minimal loss on the street isn't going to matter anyways.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1BAD98LS1
If you don't care about your cowl then it's a no brainer for sure.
Cutting the cowl does not bother me, but I'd like to keep my wipers. Car doesn't get driven in the rain, but would need them to pass inspection. From what I've seen, it's about 50/50 for those who are able to keep them.
Old 11-28-2013, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cutting the cowl does not bother me, but I'd like to keep my wipers. Car doesn't get driven in the rain, but would need them to pass inspection. From what I've seen, it's about 50/50 for those who are able to keep them.
keepin the wipers is possible, but just get a buddy to do your inspection.. Off with the wipers!
Old 11-28-2013, 08:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I am a inspector!. My car passes
Old 11-28-2013, 09:08 AM
11 Second Club

Haven't had wipers in 8 years and don't miss them. Recommend getting an inspector buddy and taking him to lunch a few times lol
Old 11-28-2013, 10:46 AM
On The Tree

i switch from a ported 92/92 setup to a vic jr and custom cam for that intake and didnt notice any power loss in the lower rpms and even if i did, it quickly made up for it in the mid and higher rpms and plus some! i also kept my wipers but i wish i just got rid of it all bc i dont drive mines in the rain neither
Old 11-28-2013, 12:45 PM
The Scammer Hammer

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Scorpion 4150. I've heard nothing but GREATNESS about them, the size, the guarantee to not stick... Availability is a problem though...

For the intake I'd run a Vic Jr

CHECK OUT THE SPECS DIRECTLY FROM SCORPION:

-Fail Safe Design – Offset throttle shafts provide a fail-safe function so throttles CANNOT stick in the open position
-Maximum Flow – 2000 cfm
-Fits all 4150 applications, as well as standard open plenum manifolds
-Standard 5” air filter flange
-Only throttle body that fits between all fuel rails, overall width is 6.9”
-Compact Low Profile Design – The lowest profile on the market, overall part height is 1.4”
-No External Springs
-Extra Vacuum Ports – Two 1/16” npt on front, one 1/8” npt on front, two 1/8” npt on rear
-Sealed Throttle Shaft Bearings
-Throttle Position Sensor – American-made!
-Idle Air Control Motor – American-made!
-Smooth yet Strong - Performs like a dream on the street, but like an animal on the track
-Light Weight Aircraft Aluminum
-Polished & Anodized – For additional protection, wear characteristics and corrosion resistance
Old 11-28-2013, 12:55 PM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm about 90% sure I'm going to switch up my current setup over the winter, and the cam and intake are going to be the focus of the build. My question is, which of these intakes would be better for a max effort 346, with the focus RPM range being between 4000 and 7500 RPM's. Is there going to be a big difference between these intakes on where the RPM range will be and will one shine over the other in the lower RPM range? Whichever intake I go with, I'll have the cam custom ground to suite that given intake and I'll be reusing my current heads, but they will be milled further to bump compression to around 12.5:1. Also, which throttle body would be good? If I go the Super Vic. route, I will be going with a 4150 style throttle body, but have no clue on what throttle body would be good with the other two intakes. I appreciate the assistance guys.
I think you will find this interesting:
http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=604281

Quick Reply: Super Vic., Edelbrock Pro Flow XT, Holley High or Mid Rise Intake For Max Effort 346