Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Triumph TR7 / LS Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Triumph TR7 / LS Swap

I have been finished with my Lambo Diablo replica for a year or so now and Im ready for another project....

I have always had a thing for small cars/trucks with v8s. Back in the day I did a V8 Vega, V8 Monza, V8 S10, an a few V8 Fieros along with a few LS based swaps.

Everyday I check craigslist for some kind of project/roller for a project, recently I ran across a TR7. Now in my 40s, I remember as a kid having a thing for these cars. I have found alot of info about TR6's with LS's but not much of anything online with TR7's with LS swaps.

Anyone have any examples of TR7's with LS swaps?
Old 11-22-2013, 12:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Run away! Those are terrible cars, especially the electrical. I had one, remember it well.
I have seen a few 3.8 swaps, there was a 300zx turbo installed in one here.
But it's kinda like putting one in a chevette. Not that much appeal.
Old 11-22-2013, 04:49 PM
Teching In

I had a bbc tr7 swap ,loved it
Old 11-22-2013, 06:55 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by garys 68
Run away! Those are terrible cars, especially the electrical. I had one, remember it well.
I have seen a few 3.8 swaps, there was a 300zx turbo installed in one here.
But it's kinda like putting one in a chevette. Not that much appeal.
Im looking at it as a car shell, when I do a project like this everything (including electrical) is completly removed and replaced. Its someting about a small car with a big motor that interests me and being somewhat unique.

I thought about going with a 3800sc/th200r4 if I get this car, but I already have a mostly complete LS3.
Old 07-09-2016, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

So 3 years after making this post I got a TR7. I couldnt find the right car at that time so I did a turbo LS G-Body/Regal but now thats been pretty much finished for a few months its time for another project.
My first thought was to go with another drivetrain for this TR7 other than a LS since I have 2 turbo LS cars now.

But I already have alot of left over LS parts, a powerglide, a mustang 8.8, everything to do another turbo system (minus piping/intercooler). After doing the math on going with a 2jz or something simliar it is alot cheaper doing a LS.

So the plan is LS1 (got one hunted down already), powerglide, narrow the 8.8 (3.08s already), Microsquirt, spend a little on suspension, tires/rims. Get it running see how I like it n/a, then put on the extra on3 76mm I have. Total budjet I set aside- $4k. Going to start ordering everything next week and start hunting the other items I need.

The guy I got the car from tore it all apart of a restoration back in 2012, been sitting like this since then. I got all the parts in boxes along with a unknow condition Rover V8/Trans, but thats going to the recycle plant. Even got a new engine stand and engine hoist in the deal....

Triumph TR7 / LS Swap-tr71.jpg

Triumph TR7 / LS Swap-tr72.jpg

Last edited by tonypaul; 07-09-2016 at 09:56 PM.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:04 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you over on Britishv8.org? A lot of good info over there regarding the swaps.
Old 07-10-2016, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Actually sounds fun...and it's a convertible.... I'll be watching this.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 195 Likes on 162 Posts

A guy I knew back in the day had a Chrysler 340 in one. It was a hard top though. It was also backhalfed, and had a little N2O. That car was one of the fastest things around back then. Good Memories.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:43 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by anarchy99
Are you over on Britishv8.org? A lot of good info over there regarding the swaps.
Found that site on saturday, lot great projects there.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:10 PM

I'm also doing a swap into a TR7 shell. In my case its a LS3 with the Tremec tr6060 salvaged from a 2010 Camaro with only 11,000 miles. Over the years I've had dozens of TR7s and TR8s. Have 6 TR8s now. Always trying to go faster so this time I'm throwing down the gauntlet. Car is a coupe. Interior is gutted and fully caged front to back. Flared the steel fenders, removed the tranny tunnel and fabricated a higher tunnel like the TVRs have. Fiberglass bumpers, gutted doors, Wilwood pedals, masters, rotors, and calipers, lightened and strengthened everywhere. For now its getting a narrowed Explorer 8.8. Goal is 500 hp and 2500 pounds. Going thru final stages of engine install now, then its off to the dustless blaster and then back on the rotisserie for final welding and body prep. Still need to make fuel cell supports, finish the door bars on the drivers side, add final engine bay cage pieces, make radiator mounts, and a few other tidbits. Trying figure things out as I go by searching for answers on this forum and over at grassroots motorsports, but I'm sure I'll have more questions once I get into wiring this beast. For now, I'm still tied up with the part I like the best, the fabrication and metal work.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:53 PM
TECH Junkie

What do you use for the LS oil pan and front crossmember?
IIRC the TR8 used a different crossmember for the 215 V8 clearance.
Old 07-14-2016, 04:35 PM

TR7 and TR8 subframes start life as the same parts. The TR7 gets a small plate somewhat in the center for an engine mount under the oil pan. The TR8 gets inverted Us on each end that extend up above the steering rack and mount to engine mounts on the lower side of the V8. I used the Camaro pan that was on the LS3. I needed to cut away and brace the rear of the TR7 subframe in order to fit the engine. Bottom of pan sits even with bottom of subframe, just as it does in a TR7 or TR8. I'm supporting the engine mounts on the frame rails instead of the subframe, and may even go to a solid aluminum plate mounted at the front of the engine. For now, there are aluminum plates mounted to the engine that convert the mounts to the older 3 bolt small block mounts, and then a tubular mount attached to the plates, and then 1/4" steel plates extend 3.5" out to the reinforced frame rails. The roll cage drops down and mounts between the steel plates on the frame rails, and in a couple of other places. It also ties into the strut tower tops and inner edges of the fenders as it runs forward. Very stout front end, with a surprising amount of left over room. Enough room to run a big turbo if it gets to that. There is another guy that I know who installed a 5.3 in a TR7. The pan he used fit with no mods to the subframe. The headers we are both using are a perfect fit on the drivers side. The passenger side clips the rearmost part of the frame rail and needed to be cut before the collector and angled straight down. Easy, pie cut and reweld. I'd love to find a passenger side header that points straight down from second from the back exhaust port.
Old 07-14-2016, 11:19 PM
TECH Regular

I finally got the TR7 to my garage today after having some trailer issues. But now Im in kinda in a situation... My wife really likes this TR7 and she wants it for her. I was planing on doing a LS1/powerglide/low budjet turbo/mustang 8.8 and not really worry about the paint, interior, wheels, ect to much right now.

But now Im thinking on just doing a 4.3 v6, found a nice 65k mile pull out from a 06 S10 with a cam/injector/headers upgrade. Tuned, with trans, wiring harness + some extras for a really good deal. That would leave me enough of my $4k budjet for new interior, paint,wheels... Kinda was really wanting to do a LS1.....
Old 07-15-2016, 04:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Before you stuff a motor in there, take some pics of the empty engine compartment. And maybe some measurements, firewall to crossmember, etc. I'm curious what will fit without too much metal work.
Old 07-17-2016, 07:36 AM

Engine bay is enormous. The LS engine takes a similar amount of space as does a cleaned up Rover. Stock Rovers had a bunch of extra crap on them that made them look bigger than they are. All the emissions parts, the ridiculous intake system and air cleaners filled the whole engine bay with stuff. Clean the rover up and install a 4 barrel, and your at about the same footprint as the LS with room to spare. I've seen pictures of TR7s with Jag V12s and Big Block GM engines.
Attached Thumbnails Triumph TR7 / LS Swap-dsc04173.jpg   Triumph TR7 / LS Swap-dsc04171.jpg   Triumph TR7 / LS Swap-dsc04174.jpg  
Old 08-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Launching!

My dad has a basically stock TR8 getting freshened up currently. Curious to see how the car is with the tiny v8. I would love to see one with a LS swap in person though.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:57 PM
Teching In

Default LS plan any advise info list of items?

LS plan any advise info list of items? My TR7 5 speed was original and now that it was flooded out from storms. I have a clean slate to make the change.

I want to do the LS engine. I have not found any kits available. Advise anyone what I may need and problems you ran into.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:37 PM
On The Tree

I had a normal sbc in one, plenty of room for it. I think an ls would be simple with a shorter sump oil pan like a Holley 302-2. I am cheap, and somewhat mechanically inclined, so I would probably make some type of frame mount to attach to a Dirty Dingo slider motor mount, if it were me. If there is a kit, I don't know of it...
Old 08-15-2018, 12:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 463 Likes on 349 Posts

All this TR8 talk brings back fond memories of a SW Div SCCA TR8 that competed in ITS class when I was racing ITC back in the 80's/90's. Always looked forward to the part of a race, sometime between lap 14 and 16 of an 18-20 lap sprint race, when that orange flash would come V8-thundering past me somewhere on the track. He gave the 240Z's fits.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,021 Likes on 2,352 Posts

An LS-powered TR8..... watta Q-ship!!

Quick Reply: Triumph TR7 / LS Swap