Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004R cables and brackets? Anyone do this?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 08:50 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004R cables and brackets? Anyone do this?

I've been a lurker since 2006 and I'm considering using a 2004R trans behind an LS engine. The 2004R requires use of a throttle cable to work properly and is not electronically controlled. I've noticed that many are adapting gas pedal cables onto factory intake manifolds and older throttle bodies but has anyone done the trans TC cable for a 2004R successfully? When connected to a Q-Jet carb, the bracket on a 2004R geometry has to be correct for it to work right. I would like to use an LS3 intake....are there mounting bosses on these for the correct bracketry? Where can I source parts?

If someone has some insight / pics of this done I would really appreciate it.

Thanks!
Old 11-23-2013, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

The 2004r can be built plenty tough, they have more potential than a 700R4/4l60. I don't know why you'd want to go through the hassle of adapting one to an LS, but it can be done. It's only possible with a cable throttle body, so DBW is not an option. You're asking the right questions regarding the TV cable though, as proper adjustment and geometry is essential for these transmissions to live. Take a look at bowtie overdrives, they have the setup you'll need and I've used their edelbrock carb setup in the past with excellent results. They make a nice product.

http://www.bowtieoverdrives.com/cata...php?ITEMID=225
Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

BTO has brackets for ls1 and truck intakes (at least the older stuff, not sure about l92 and etc) but nothing for ls3. Since I had the truck one already I just used the angles as a template to make my own bracket. The ls3 intake has a few random metal brackets on it at the back, I just took one and cut, bent, drilled and jb welded as needed to make it work. There are a couple of pics of what I had to do half way down the page linked at the end of this post, I know I have more somewhere but I'm not sure where. Unless you already have the trans though I wouldn't waste time trying to make a 200 work. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rtible-17.html
Old 11-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd71
BTO has brackets for ls1 and truck intakes (at least the older stuff, not sure about l92 and etc) but nothing for ls3. Since I had the truck one already I just used the angles as a template to make my own bracket. The ls3 intake has a few random metal brackets on it at the back, I just took one and cut, bent, drilled and jb welded as needed to make it work. There are a couple of pics of what I had to do half way down the page linked at the end of this post, I know I have more somewhere but I'm not sure where. Unless you already have the trans though I wouldn't waste time trying to make a 200 work. https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...rtible-17.html

Thanks for the responses. The reason for me wanting to stick with a 2004R is that mine is built to take some abuse, it's correct for the vehicle and I'm very happy with it. I also would rather not have to spend the money to swap something else into the car or hack up the drive shaft or tunnel.

Chuck, your build thread is very intersting. Thanks for all the pics. I'll give BTO a call to better understand thier product offerings but I'm curious, is your bracket mounted to only (1) of the intake bosses? Have you driven it and if so, are the shift points and firmness correct?

I'm considering a 6.2 L92 swap but after seeing the hassles with the LS3 intake, water pump etc. I am beginning to wonder if this is a good idea. I don't think the truck intake will clear in a G body.
Old 11-24-2013, 08:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a link to what I did, but I had an aftermarket throttle body.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...e-bracket.html

Quick Reply: 2004R cables and brackets? Anyone do this?