Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking Noise from Engine?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2004, 01:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking Noise from Engine?

Haven't been on in a while so hello again everybody.
I've been noticing this squeaking noise going on for about a month now but just haven't had enough time to really get under the hood and figure it out. The sound is like a belt noise or even a bad pulley. When I looked it actually sounded like it was coming from my Tensioner Pulley so I figured hell, a quick $15 replacement and we're good. Well I took a closer look and listen and it actually sounds like the noise is coming from inside the block or the heads on the side of the tensioner pulley. Never thought pushrods or lifters or even vavle springs would squeak. Could this noise be an internal issue or am I just hearing the pulley and it sounds like it's coming from the block? Could something internal be squeaking? Oil is good. Just recently changed. Any thoughts?
Old 05-07-2004, 02:42 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think it is the pulley. I don't know for sure I have not herd your car but I know that they throw the sounds around under the hood and sound like they are comming from other places. Start with your pulleys before jumping to conclutions about internal problems.
Old 05-07-2004, 02:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah. I figured I'd go ahead and replace the pulley and see where I am from there. I'll do that tonight and post the results tomorrow. Thanks Inspector.
Old 05-07-2004, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Also I had similar symptoms and it ended up being the flywheel (flexplate) that was cracked in 3 places. JFYI
Old 05-07-2004, 03:36 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah I have had some weird things happen also, but I just don't want him getting the horse in front of the wagon. Start simple/ cheap and then systematicly eliminate other possibilities ETC... Predator-Z has given another possible synario except that you are a M6 and not likely to have cracked this flywheel. Good luck and check twice and don't forget about the other idler pulley between the powersteering pump and the alternator.
Old 05-07-2004, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Yeah I have had some weird things happen also, but I just don't want him getting the horse in front of the wagon. Start simple/ cheap and then systematicly eliminate other possibilities ETC... Predator-Z has given another possible synario except that you are a M6 and not likely to have cracked this flywheel. Good luck and check twice and don't forget about the other idler pulley between the powersteering pump and the alternator.
You can break the thing while trying to crank with the motor already running. The rest is done by bad harmonics.

Quick Reply: Squeaking Noise from Engine?