Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo stick guys and no lift shifting - please give me some insight

Old 11-23-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Turbo stick guys and no lift shifting - please give me some insight

Hey all. I was experiencing a shifting issue at high RPM on my turbo 5.3/T56 trans am for a while, and just recently figured it out and fixed it. I took the car on the highway and no lift shifted 2nd to 3rd a few times in a row, and man does it feel freaking awesome compared to my sluggish shifts before! During the 2nd time attempting it, I noticed the car started to chug some smoke pretty good on decel, but AFR under boost was perfect, and no other symptoms came up. Drove it for a bit down the highway and it cleared up...ripped on it again and no lift shifted and got some more smoke on decel. I got off the highway and it completely cleared up within a minute or two.

My question is, is any special tuning required if I am going to start no lift shifting when racing the car? I have my rev limiter set to 6500 at the moment, and I'm sure it tags limiter for a split second between shifts which would be cutting fuel. The car runs nice and fat at 11.2 or so AFR and it's on 11 PSI at the moment. I have an MSD 2 step and I'd love for it to activate during shifts, but I think it has some sort of a built in failsafe to prevent it from coming on during a shift, which sucks.

I guess my question is just that I'm curious if no lift shifting on the stock rev limiter is a bad idea for a turbo car or not, or if you need to add anything to the tune to make it safer? The smoke may not have even been related, since the car sat for about 3 weeks since I last drove it, and it was very cold here in new england as well today. Still runs great, oil is perfect, and no blowby out of the breathers. I've blown enough motors to know when somethings broken lol.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nobody in here with a turbo motor and a man pedal??

I heard about a trick where you could put a value like -5 in the timing tables at the RPM you want your rev limiter to be and just fill the table out from there up with it to act as a spark kill. I'm going to try that. Has to be better than a fuel cut, especially once I get the methanol hooked up.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:44 PM
Launching!

I use the n2mb to do a no lift shift, your issues might be due to turbo leaking oil out of the compressor or turbine side. I wouldn't think you would want to be doing a no lift shift off the stock limiter, seems like it would be counter productive since it is still cutting fuel. If your turbo is on the smaller side you shouldn't really notice to much of a lag if you just barely let off the throttle and blip the clutch on shifts.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 70 Likes on 37 Posts

Yeah ive got the N2MB too which cuts spark. If i were you id just raise the stock limiter to the point where you cant hit it and pull the timing out past your usable rpm.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:12 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you shift it fast enough you will not hit the limiter.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:16 AM
10 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Could also be PCV issue. And don't notice it on accel.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
If you shift it fast enough you will not hit the limiter.
this

no smoke from mine either, sounds like an oil ingestion issue from somewhere
Old 11-25-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the replies. I don't remember hearing the limiter while doing it, but I just hate the idea of cutting fuel on a turbo car. If I happened to miss a gear or botch a shift, I don't want to be tagging limiter with my foot to the floor, especially when the meth gets hooked up.

Those of you using the WOT box, how much of a pain was it to wire in? I'm currently using an MSD 2 step for the track, but I see the WOT box has a 2 step and no lift shift feature....may be nice over my MSD!
Old 11-25-2013, 07:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

had the n2mb box in my cobalt and it was pretty easy to wire in, plus the gun shot fire ***** on shifts made it worth while lol.
Old 11-26-2013, 08:04 AM
10 Second Club

Im not forced induction but I use the lingenfelter lnc-003 for a two step and spark cut between shifts and it works very well. Will prob be selling it here soon if your interested
Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by black06g85
had the n2mb box in my cobalt and it was pretty easy to wire in, plus the gun shot fire ***** on shifts made it worth while lol.
Good to know, thanks for the reply man!

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
Im not forced induction but I use the lingenfelter lnc-003 for a two step and spark cut between shifts and it works very well. Will prob be selling it here soon if your interested
Don't know much about that box, but I'll do a bit of research on it. Def let me know when you plan on selling it though, because I may be interested!
Old 11-26-2013, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

http://lingenfelter.com/photo/L46010...ler%20v1.1.pdf

worked well for me im just likely going to lingenfelters load cell setup so i wont need this. made shifts like butter
Old 11-26-2013, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by blue99fbody
http://lingenfelter.com/photo/L46010...ler%20v1.1.pdf

worked well for me im just likely going to lingenfelters load cell setup so i wont need this. made shifts like butter
Shoot me a PM with a price, and how soon you planned on swapping it out for the new setup. How old is it as well? Thanks man.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:27 PM
TECH Resident

How hard is this to wire? It didn't list it as "Compatible"
Old 02-06-2014, 12:24 PM
11 Second Club

blue99fbody, that vid is bada$$! Just to clarify, you were using the LNC-003 unit, correct? Are you simply activating the 2-step rev limiter between shifts, or does it have a dedicated no-lift shift function built in?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo stick guys and no lift shifting - please give me some insight