Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning LS1 FC RX-7 swap in CA

Old 11-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning LS1 FC RX-7 swap in CA

I am planning to do a LS1 swap into my 1988 RX-7, now I know this has been done before, but I am hoping to do a SMOG legal swap in CA.

Can anyone direct me to exactly what parts will be needed to accomplish this? would I better off purchasing a whole donor car?

thanks for your input
Old 11-24-2013, 03:13 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe it's been done but not sure if anyone in CA has done it. My first suggestion is to check with your smog law people....I have heard a lot of crazy rules in your state. Hopefully some one who has done a LS swap (after 1976 model year) from Cali will respond. Good luck!
Old 11-24-2013, 05:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1,386 Likes on 875 Posts

To be legal in CA you need to retain all of the factory smog equipment that was on the vehicle from which the engine came from. Getting a complete donor car would be very helpful.

However, I suggest you move out of that fucked up state for many reasons other than cars.

Andrew
Old 11-24-2013, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As everyone is telling you, yes it can be done, not a simple task and yes you would need all of the original equipment from the Donor car. You could go the eRod route, if you can spear a few thousand dollars.

Here is something that will get you started.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

The problem is that the Ref's stations are all different and you get different Ref's that reads the rules / laws differently. You need to talk to as many of the Ref until you find one that can give you the answer you like and then use him.

Where are you located ?.. norcal or socal ?

BC
Old 11-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bczee
As everyone is telling you, yes it can be done, not a simple task and yes you would need all of the original equipment from the Donor car. You could go the eRod route, if you can spear a few thousand dollars.

Here is something that will get you started.
http://www.bar.ca.gov/80_BARResource...uidelines.html

The problem is that the Ref's stations are all different and you get different Ref's that reads the rules / laws differently. You need to talk to as many of the Ref until you find one that can give you the answer you like and then use him.

Where are you located ?.. norcal or socal ?

BC
thank you for the input. that link doesn't work.

also what is the eRod route?

i've seen more FD legal ones done, is it same to assume it would require the same steps that those have taken?

I am in norcal

Last edited by plusONEchoi; 11-24-2013 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-25-2013, 02:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Guess CA DMV removed it.. it was a write up or a guide line of the Swap Engine rules.. sorry..

FB, FC or FD ... no different. What is required is that the test be based on the Engine year and equipement, not the car.

eRod's are GM Create Engines that are sold as a C.A.R.B compliant kit and is legal for any car/truck pre ODBII... I bit more costly.. but with the kit installed as required. You would then be ready to go.. cause there is a C.A.R.B. sticker for the Test station to use.... but you would still need to pass the test..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Planning LS1 FC RX-7 swap in CA