Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

7.25" dual clutch questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 05:11 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 7.25" dual clutch questions

I think these are pretty basic questions but I'm searching and can't find the answers.

5.3L going into an autox car, using an Ace 7.25" dual and T56. Was sold a Quarter Master hydraulic release bearing, part number QTR710100. This piece doesn't fit over the sleeve in the T56 bell housing. In looking, it appears everyone else uses the Tri-Lite HRB. Can the 710100 be made to work, or does it need to go up on ebay at this point?

The other issue is with the flex plate. The 5.3 is a truck motor, and I had planned on using the flex plate that came out of it. In attempting to match up the button to the flex plate, it doesn't fit. There is a recessed area on the flex plate which is not large enough to fit the button.

I pulled this flex plate off myself when I picked up the motor. I don't recall there being any spacer on it. I have seen a spacer for the LS1 on ebay. I would figure the spacer should go between the crank and the flexplate, but thinking maybe I can put the spacer after the flexplate to enable the button to bolt on.

Alternatively maybe I could get a different flex plate. I have looked at an LS1 plate and it has the same issue. Maybe one of the aftermarket plates is totally flat.

What are you guys running this kind of clutch doing here?
Attached Thumbnails 7.25" dual clutch questions-001.jpg   7.25" dual clutch questions-004.jpg  

Last edited by jmortensen; 11-25-2013 at 06:27 PM.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

Ace returned a message I left yesterday and said I could use flex plate part number RM991 from Quicktime. So that problem appears solved. Hopefully QM will have some good news on the HRB for me.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:46 PM
Staging Lane

Solution to the release bearing is to turn the input shaft snout down to 1.370"
Old 11-27-2013, 01:21 PM
Staging Lane

After actually going out and looking at the snout in the bellhousing, it has an additional wall in it which holds a spring used with the stock bearing. I called QM back again and asked if I should cut that retainer wall out too, and was offered a return and exchange for the Tri-Lite. The Tri-Lite is a bit more $$$, but seems like a lot less hassle than trying to find a machinist and figure this other crap out.

The flex plate thing is bugging me because I see a lot of people here using stock flex plates. I have access to a stock flexplate, but it just doesn't appear that it would work. Really don't want to spend money on another plate if I don't have to. Is there a trick?

Quick Reply: 7.25" dual clutch questions