Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Not so tight after 120 mph

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not so tight after 120 mph

I purchased a 2011 ctsv with 22k miles on it's few weeks ago , so far I love the car but under acceleration at around 120 mph it doesn't seem to be really tight, the car has been lowered by the previous owner and I don't know what springs were used, I don't believe this is normal , I have other cars and they don't seem to be like this, is it an alignment issue or could it be something else, any help would be great. , thank you
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

I would start with an alignment. Cheap and probably needs to be done since its been lowered.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how do the tires look? are the air pressures where they should be? Alignment would be a good place to start. I doubt it is suspension wear, but you might jack up each corner and make sure everything feels tight if you grab the wheel and try to move it.
Old 11-25-2013, 10:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
how do the tires look? are the air pressures where they should be? Alignment would be a good place to start. I doubt it is suspension wear, but you might jack up each corner and make sure everything feels tight if you grab the wheel and try to move it.
The rears are new and the front are 1/2 worn
Old 11-25-2013, 10:18 PM
Teching In

Haven't checked the air pressure yet
Old 11-26-2013, 05:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

a good question would be what are you comparing the tight feeling to? as in what did you drive before?

if you came from a dedicated sports car then the v will not feel as tight due to its size and other factors
Old 11-26-2013, 09:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
a good question would be what are you comparing the tight feeling to? as in what did you drive before?

if you came from a dedicated sports car then the v will not feel as tight due to its size and other factors
Really? I mean I have yet to drive a V2 but don't they come with that high end magnetic ride control shocks? I would expect my V2 to perform right with a dedicated sports car. Except in the turns where is would show its weight. For a straight line though.......
Old 11-26-2013, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
Really? I mean I have yet to drive a V2 but don't they come with that high end magnetic ride control shocks? I would expect my V2 to perform right with a dedicated sports car. Except in the turns where is would show its weight. For a straight line though.......
Not saying the V2 isnt a great vehicle. or not a great handler. But the front end of some vehicles feel more planted than others at speed. the V2 due to its size and weight never as button down at speed like a 911/viper/c6. It feels better than most sedans would.
Old 11-26-2013, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Could be the previous owner lowered by cutting coils too.
Old 11-26-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

The questions I would ask is: What do you mean by "doesn't feel tight"? How is the car behaving at the speed and under acceleration? Does it only happen at 120?

If it is what I am assuming, where the car does not feel as stable or as easy to steer around 120, my guess would not be anything with suspension or alignment. But rather in the aerodynamics of the car.

Every sports car (or any car for that matter) has a speed range where is going too fast for gravitation pull to get the car down and not fast enough for the higher speed aerodynamics to create enough down force to press the car back into the road. A cars shape is a crude wing of sorts...where are the moving over the car (or wing) has to move faster then the air under the car so the give stream will meet at the same time at the tail side of the car. The faster moving air creates a lower pressure on the top side of the car, and thus creates some lift. That is why aero features some as front and rear spoilers or defusers are needs on high speed cars.

My 2010, on stock springs and shocks, does the same thing in the 120-140 range...it going to fast for normal pull, but not fast enough for the high speed aerodynamic engineering to take effect. But once I got above 140, I feel the car starting to sink back into a more stable driving groove. The car begin to feel a little floaty, and since there is less contact pressure on the tires the handling and turning ability is compromised a bit.

But this is just speculation of fluid dynamics on my part...if you want to get in alignment, go for it...haha
Old 11-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Teching In

i had fox body mustangs with suspension upgrades, grand nationals , turbo trans am, clk55, even my duramax pick up feels tighter for some reason, my wife has a 2010 e350 and it doent feel like this, i am not sure if its an alignment issue or something else is going on
Old 11-26-2013, 07:48 PM
Teching In

Not saying the V2 isnt a great vehicle. or not a great handler. But the front end of some vehicles feel more planted than others at speed. the V2 due to its size and weight never as button down at speed like a 911/viper/c6. It feels better than most sedans would.
i agree and i am not sure if all v's have this issue or its just mine for now
Old 11-26-2013, 07:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by isis
Could be the previous owner lowered by cutting coils too.
i am going to have to take it to the shop to get them checked out as well
Old 11-26-2013, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Mine feels "bouncy" for lack of a better term. I'm thinking the previous owner (I bought from a dealer) just cut the springs.
Old 11-26-2013, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
The questions I would ask is: What do you mean by "doesn't feel tight"? How is the car behaving at the speed and under acceleration? Does it only happen at 120?

If it is what I am assuming, where the car does not feel as stable or as easy to steer around 120, my guess would not be anything with suspension or alignment. But rather in the aerodynamics of the car.

Every sports car (or any car for that matter) has a speed range where is going too fast for gravitation pull to get the car down and not fast enough for the higher speed aerodynamics to create enough down force to press the car back into the road. A cars shape is a crude wing of sorts...where are the moving over the car (or wing) has to move faster then the air under the car so the give stream will meet at the same time at the tail side of the car. The faster moving air creates a lower pressure on the top side of the car, and thus creates some lift. That is why aero features some as front and rear spoilers or defusers are needs on high speed cars.

My 2010, on stock springs and shocks, does the same thing in the 120-140 range...it going to fast for normal pull, but not fast enough for the high speed aerodynamic engineering to take effect. But once I got above 140, I feel the car starting to sink back into a more stable driving groove. The car begin to feel a little floaty, and since there is less contact pressure on the tires the handling and turning ability is compromised a bit.

But this is just speculation of fluid dynamics on my part...if you want to get in alignment, go for it...haha
****, I need to take it easy with this spiked egg nog.
I'm starting to see Cole type some FuzzyLogic-like posts
Old 11-27-2013, 05:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fastgreek
i had fox body mustangs with suspension upgrades, grand nationals , turbo trans am, clk55, even my duramax pick up feels tighter for some reason, my wife has a 2010 e350 and it doent feel like this, i am not sure if its an alignment issue or something else is going on
all those vehicles you mentioned outside of the duramax have a much smaller frontal area, a lower hood/fender height and might not be as wide up front. all those will play a factor withthe amount of air that might cause some lift and the feeling you are noticing.

I just got back from doing maybe 160-170 on a oval in a new e-class and that felt more stable at speed than my V. My V will out handle the car i drove with no problem, you just get the feeling that the front end could be more planted in my V compared to the 212 i was in.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:27 AM
Teching In

all those vehicles you mentioned outside of the duramax have a much smaller frontal area, a lower hood/fender height and might not be as wide up front. all those will play a factor withthe amount of air that might cause some lift and the feeling you are noticing.

I just got back from doing maybe 160-170 on a oval in a new e-class and that felt more stable at speed than my V. My V will out handle the car i drove with no problem, you just get the feeling that the front end could be more planted in my V compared to the 212 i was in.
you probably right , thanks for the info guys

Quick Reply: Not so tight after 120 mph