Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

GMPP LS Dual Plane Intake

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 09:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default GMPP LS Dual Plane Intake

Has anyone switched from running a GMPP single plane intake to the new GMPP dual plane intake? I am considering trying the dual plane on my 370 ci . Car is used mostly for the street with some occasional strip passes just for fun. Car is light so wondering if the low end torque they produce over a single plain will overpower my traction. Wish someone else offered this intake as the GM piece is rather pricey...thanks
Old 11-28-2013, 11:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I switched from the vc jr to the LS3 dual plane and love it! What cam are you going to run? I can give you the specs to mine, if you are interested. With a stock LS3 crate engine with just my cam and the GMPP dual plane, my 72 Camaro ran 11.65 at 118, blowing the tires off. It is a very solid low 11 sec setup, maybe 10.90s with traction. It also cruises along at 1700-1800rpms as smooth as glass with no surging or lugging. You don't need a loose converter or low gears to run hard either. The setup starts making power at way below 3000 and buzzes to 7000rpms without a wimper. Its the best STREET setup Ive seen in an NA LS engine.
The cam I had ground by Bullet Racing and the specs are 220-230 at .050 on a 108+4 and 629 lift on intake and exhaust. If you don't have a cam you are set on, do yourself a favor and give Tim a call and have one ground like this. I promise you wont regret it !
Old 11-28-2013, 01:45 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the info. My cam is pretty mild .570.572, running a 3800 converter and my time now with the single plane is 11.1 @124 . I was just wondering how the dual plane would run with my set-up. Not sure that for the money if I would gain more performance or not. As you know single plane intakes do well in the mid range where they pick up more power over a Dual plane set-up. I would like to try one for my self and see.
Old 11-28-2013, 02:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Your setup has gone beyond what I built mine for with the looser converter. I put mine together to drive like a stocker and still lay down a good number. With my 3.42 gears and 2800 stall, the intake/cam combo works very well, and should run right around your best, but with a much tighter converter. The little combo Ive put together would loose a lot of useable power with a 3800 converter.
On a 370 cid engine, I don't think the single plane would ever catch the dual plane in HP or TQ all the way past 7K. The runners are huge by large on that LS3 dual plane and can easily move all the air our little engines can pull. Although you would lose out on a lot of power the dual would offer by not taking advantage of its off idle TQ, I still think the intake would show an improvement over the GMPP single all the way to your redline. What are your duration numbers on the cam you are running? lift numbers do little to compare the size of a camshaft.
The GMPP LS3 dual plane is a pretty special intake and on an engine with less than 400+cid and less than 7K+ HP peaks, has been proven to make more power all the way across the power band than a GMPP single plane. D&A machine tested both on a 337cid and 409 cid engines for the 09 Engine masters Challenge and the dual wiped up across the entire pull. Imagine your LS3 intake ports, just extended by 10" or so and you have the GM dual plane.

Last edited by newschool72; 11-28-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2013, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

Thank you for the follow up..I agree that the single is probably more than my motor needs, It was at the time the only option for my L92 heads. Your correct ...370 CI is not a big motor by single plain standards and should do well by way of a dual plain. I was concerned that the extra low end Tq from a dual plain would over power my cars ability to handle it and possibly break something. I guess I'll have to try and find out for myself.Thank you for sharing your experience. Think I will order one but will have to wait till Spring to give it a try as we are about to encounter A New England winter for the next few months. WIll keeep you updated... Thanks again

Quick Reply: GMPP LS Dual Plane Intake