Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just ordered some all-seasons for my V... say what? Michelin PS A/S3

Old 11-29-2013, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Just ordered some all-seasons for my V... say what? Michelin PS A/S3

So I've been bouncing all over the place on my what tires to order the last few months. The tires that have been on my V since I bought it (not including the winters I run) are two Michelin Primacy craps up front (although they'd last forever) and two Hankook V12's in the back. That combo is exceptionally comfortable and quiet but doesn't handle that great obviously. The Hankooks have gone from about 2/3 tread (guess) when I got the car to currently at near 3/32. I've put about 10k miles on them, so they don't wear too bad but I've not real hard on them either.

As a DD in Minnesota I learned the hard way last April when I almost totaled the V after putting the Hankooks back on when we got slammed by a late season snow storm and had to get to work. Did a 360 on the highway in 5th gear merging at 45mph. The car was out of control with those on obviously it just floated. Even despite that I have been planning on some dedicated summers.... was leaning towards the Conti DW's but then I kept hearing about how soft the sidewalls are and how they take a sporty feel out of the ride, and mileages reported from 10k to 25k didnt sound that good to me. Other tires I was considering were a full set of the Hankook V12, Nitto Invo or Bridgestone RE760.

Then I read a bunch of reviews on the Michelin Pilot A/S 3. Just released this past summer with a bunch of their new race technology. It's only recommend for 'light snow duties' but that's all I need it for since I run winters also. It held up and was preferred against the DW, Pirelli P-Zero and Bridgestone S-04 summer tires and also mightily whooped up on the top all-season competitors.

Big thing for me was the 45k treadwear warranty combined with the driving characteristics of a summer tire. It's an expensive tire but if it lasts and performs well it will be the best value easily. They're going on this week I'll give a review later after a few days driving them to see if it was a good choice or not.

DTD beat everybody else's price when I called them. I did 4 255/45ZR18 with lifetime hazard warranty of the tires for $937 shipped. The tire retails at $273 each

Here's some reviews I looked at
http://www.europeancarweb.com/tech/1...ot_sport_as_3/
http://www.beyond.ca/michelin-pilot-...iew/21462.html
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/...y.jsp?ttid=177

Last edited by MN_V; 11-29-2013 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:46 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In for reviews. I'm due for tires.
? these

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 255/45R18 99Y (3550) : Amazon.com : Automotive Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 255/45R18 99Y (3550) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon just beat your guys.

Last edited by dead civic; 11-30-2013 at 10:59 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 08:23 AM
TECH Regular

I might be trying these tires out at that price. I am in need of some tires soon as the season is getting colder. I merged onto the freeway in a corner at about 55 mph with light throttle in 4th which lead me to be staring at a guard rail. No rain - just "dew" on the road at 4:45am...

But, I have some cheap tires that the previous owner had put on.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dead civic
In for reviews. I'm due for tires.
? these

Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 255/45R18 99Y (3550) : Amazon.com : Automotive

Amazon just beat your guys.
That's $880 shipped, I paid $937 shipped with lifetime hazard warranty on the tires serviced anywhere. Also Discount Tire will stand by their product a bit better I believe than that Amazon seller.

To break it down I called DTD because after a mail in rebate Tirerack was cheaper, so DTD reduced it to $850 shipped, and then I talked them down on the hazard warranty 25%. I'm happy with it but I'll get a review in for you guys later.

Last edited by MN_V; 12-01-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by MN_V
It held up and was preferred against the DW, Pirelli P-Zero and Bridgestone S-04 summer tires in 41F weather and also mightily whooped up on the top all-season competitors.
The A/S3s are supposed to be great tires, so I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with them. I just found it noteworthy that the test at NOLA against summer tires was done with the temp at 5C (41F). Not too surprising that the summer tires couldn't keep up in those conditions, particularly in an auto-x (which probably wouldn't give the tires much time to warm up).
Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
The A/S3s are supposed to be great tires, so I'm sure you'll be perfectly happy with them. I just found it noteworthy that the test at NOLA against summer tires was done with the temp at 5C (41F). Not too surprising that the summer tires couldn't keep up in those conditions, particularly in an auto-x (which probably wouldn't give the tires much time to warm up).

Michelin had this event planned most likely 6 months before that date in a warm weather area, but that's a good point; it was between 41-50F during their test as that's the boundary where all-seasons outperform summers. I read a lot of reviews from people that switched from the Pilot Super Sports and said they noticed no loss of grip going to the A/S 3 so my hopes are high. My buddy put the previous generation of pilot sport all-seasons(plus) on his girl's Mazda3 and he said the only thing holding him back on clover leafs was the engine of the car and he sells tires for a living and he was raving about them. My co-worker has those pilot sport a/s plus on his S55 AMG and likes them, so I'm pretty excited to try their latest and greatest on the V.

The dual-compound Michelin motorcycle tires I use blow my mind in their performance and longevity so I certainly have a lot of respect for their engineers and all they've learned from racing. It's the most expensive tire but I go back to it, grips better and lasts longer than the competition I've used.

Last edited by MN_V; 12-02-2013 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-01-2013, 10:23 PM
Launching!

I looked at discount tire direct and I noticed they have a "45R" "45ZR" which ones are you are you guys referring? And what is the difference? I noticed MN V linked the zr and dead civic amazon linked the 45R. Discount also has a price difference.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ca&exposed=brd
Old 12-01-2013, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ they offer them in a V and a higher Y speed rating in that size. The Y tire is going to be built a little heavier duty and has a higher load rating, presumably from an additional belt or stronger belts.

I ordered in 255 width in the ZR / Y rating. The old 'Z' in the ZR labels a tire right away as being rated at speeds exceeding 149mph. The Y later in the description shows it has been tested to withhold speeds in excess of 186. This more descriptive labeling was created as supercars have gotten faster to better clarify what tires to choose beyond the old ZR rating. Even that 'R' labeled tire is tested to 149 as signified later with the V rating. To allow the 'ZR' it has to be tested 'beyond 149.'

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

Last edited by MN_V; 12-01-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:02 PM
Launching!

What does the higher load rating give you? Is that a pos or neg? I just had the pilot super sports installed, I needed new tires but also weren't happy with the v12s grip wet or dry. Reviews said the pss were a great summer tire for traction, just a little concerned during the rain/winter. From you are saying here the A3 have the same dry traction but excel in all season

I am wondering if I made the right choice with the Seattle weather/rain.
Old 12-01-2013, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by TeamSorad
I looked at discount tire direct and I noticed they have a "45R" "45ZR" which ones are you are you guys referring? And what is the difference? I noticed MN V linked the zr and dead civic amazon linked the 45R. Discount also has a price difference.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...ca&exposed=brd
One is V-rated and has a standard load rating (96V SL), the other is Y-rated and has the XL load rating (100Y XL).

Edit: Walked away from the computer and MN V posted while I was fiddling around. In practical application, there's probably little perceptible difference between the two. The V-rated might be a bit softer in sidewall construction, but without having the two tires to test out, that's just speculation on my part.

Having lived in the Bangor/Bremerton area for a couple years, I wouldn't want to run summers through the winter months. The area doesn't get much snow, but the consistent cold, damp conditions are not the PSS's forte (or any summer tire's forte, for that matter). I think you'd be better off with the A/S3s.
Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TeamSorad
What does the higher load rating give you? Is that a pos or neg? I just had the pilot super sports installed, I needed new tires but also weren't happy with the v12s grip wet or dry. Reviews said the pss were a great summer tire for traction, just a little concerned during the rain/winter. From you are saying here the A3 have the same dry traction but excel in all season

I am wondering if I made the right choice with the Seattle weather/rain.
If I was you in your climate I would swap them under Michelin's 30 day trial swap period. It's supposed to be 50s/60s here in DC when I get them installed and I'll give you a review after I break them in. Michelin says it's their best wet/cool weather tire and with summer tire dry performance. If that holds true it should be an ideal tire for you in the PacNW and myself in MN.
Old 12-06-2013, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just switched up tires to Mich PS A/S3s as well. Just rear so far 275/40R18. InFrigginCredible!!! Rain and dry hands down better than the Yoko Advan Sport summers that came off (and I liked them). The cold got me a few weeks ago and I rotated on the Yokos, lol silly summer tires.

Right now I am "pushing" in the front on long sweepers due to the front mismatch, with Yoko Avid Envigors 245/45. Normally good A/S tires but cannot keep up with the Mich PSs.

Needless to say all the above tires are better than the stock Bridgestone RFTs!

Incredible wet grip... Yes you can still get sideways, very predictable and comes back in line easily. Still breaks loose a little in the 2-3 shift BUT on any of the other tires I could roast them down in the wet on the 2-3 shift.

Dry I have yet to get it loose in the rear! The tires just squat grip and go around turns... I'm afraid to go any faster. No kidding. x2 and x3 the posted on curves is about all I can safely handle as I fear that the brakes cannot keep up if something unexpected happens. (time to go back to the HPSs!)

I'm very particular about tires and these are worth every penny!

* Skip the Conti DWS unless you have loads of snow, where they do a great job. But lack the sidewall stiffness to be fun in the turns. Also a bit noisy at the limit in turns. Good, but not for the price especially compared to the A/S 3s.

The PS A/S 3s literally just made summer tires obsolete!
Old 12-06-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Had them installed today. The weather is absolute crap so I can't really have any fun with them but I did take them for a loop. Even though it was their first 10 miles I was amazed at their grip in the wet. Felt like it was RAILS the steering response right away felt awesome. Grip was incredible on soaked roads. I pushed it a bit on some corners with good line of sight. Wow can't wait to scrub them in and really push them sometime. Snow is coming in 2 days so I see if they can get me from point A to point B which is all I would ask of these!

Last edited by MN_V; 12-06-2013 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-12-2013, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Tonight was the first time the roads are finally dry. I went and hit up some curves and on ramps to test their dry grip. It was 27 degrees out. All I can say is they're pretty amazing. I hit 1.02g on the first cloverleaf just testing them out and they did not make a hint of sound while traveling the exact path I had drawn. Found a curvier section to test some transitions and they are very planted. The rear with the Hankooks used to get kinda loose and when on the limit of their grip they were not very linear and they could break away. Able to push these Michelins even harder and at the limit they have an extremely gradual slide with great feedback. I don't really have anything bad to say about them. They're quiet and ride well too. Was running 33psi cold.

Only thing I would add is that the 255/45 is a bit beefier than I had imagined but it looks good still. Take off grip is better and 1st gear is a little smoother. Speedo is now off like 3mph on the highway though. Stock it reported about 1.5-2 under GPS speed.

Last edited by MN_V; 12-12-2013 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Back in MN before I was able to swap to winters I managed to get stuck with these once on a slight grade going up from a stop sign. Lucky I did not get stuck at other points. They work on packed snow and are great on otherwise cold roads, but these won't hardly get you from A to B on snow covered roads. My experience was 3" unplowed, the car had no chance.

I also drove with them in -15 weather and they performed well on mostly dry roads, but easily spun the rears just casually accelerating so I imagine braking is subpar as well.

Otherwise these tires are awesome still nice and quiet after 2k miles and amazing in dry and wet. Reminder I am on 255/45 size.
Old 02-02-2014, 02:44 AM
TECH Resident

Sounds like a great tire I wonder how the dry grip compares to falken rt615 or hancook rs3 or nitto nt555. Truth be told k drove my car in 1.5 inches of snow. A lot of work wouldnt recommend it but im in pnw so I want a tire with a lot of dry bite and ok wet handeling.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I snapped up 2 pairs of these a/s 3s with the dtd ebay coupon (thanks whoever posted that reminder). Paid 632 shipped for 4 tires.. not bad. I got the 100y version.

Can't wait to get them on and compare to the pss, which are reluctantly coming off even though all are at the wear bars and still performing well. I loved these tires..can't say I ever found their true limit. The front righ caught a screw though, and no one will repair due to tread depth, so I had to get a new set.

I'll report back with impressions and a comparison after I get some good miles on the as3..
Old 08-20-2014, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

yeah that's a HELL of a deal. I'll get these same tires again. Give us a review after you've had them on for a week or so.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:21 AM
On The Tree

Don't forget the $70 mail in rebate too!

http://www.discounttire.com/rebates/

I bought the A/S3s during the last Discount Tire sale and had no problem getting the rebate even though it was slightly expired 😀

Great tires!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just ordered some all-seasons for my V... say what? Michelin PS A/S3