Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

*Build Thread* 1966 Chevy Nova II

Old 12-02-2013, 01:53 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *Build Thread* 1966 Chevy Nova II

After tinkering with "The Trash Can" (thread to be posted soon) we had zero issues with the idea of starting another Nova project. This one, however, will be more than a beater with an LS motor.

We Bough this car out of Colorado with a 427CI big block and twin 750 carbs.

We had intentions on killing two birds with one stone so this big block car was perfect for the Chevelle build that we are doing (thread also coming for this car) as well as the new home of our LS3. The downside, this car sat higher that cheech and chong on the upper level of a party bus.

Suspension was the obvious starting point. This car had ladder bars, coil overs AND leaf springs. I'm sure if there were room left over we may have even found air bags under there as well. The first thing we did was remove the ladder bars and add adjusters to them. We removed the leaf springs completely to get this thing away from gasser and back to cruiser.

Once we decided on a comfortable ride height, we needed to notch the rear frame rails for wheel clearance.

With the Weld Magnums we borrowed off the Land Shark, we did a test fit and I must say, the outcome looks more than amazing!

With this car going under the knife for an LS swap, the old engine bay had to be cleaned up, well actually, the entire front end was removed completely.

Out with the old, in with the new! Our new front end came complete with Calipers, rotors, coil overs, upper and lower arms, and a manual steering rack.

We are now setting the car up for its match made in heaven, our LS3 motor and T56 combo. Stay tuned for updates as well as our full "Trash Can" build and 1970 Big Block/Supercharged Chevelle.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What do those upper bars tie into? I have this dilemma on my Rambler project (with no bars) that I'm converting to an M-II based front clip and I'm curious as to what in your cowl area is rigid enough to add support for the front clip...
Old 12-02-2013, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

the top bars bolt where the factory front end bolted too, yes the firewall is rigid enough to support the weight

i like the direction your going with this build, ill definitely follow this one.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:41 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by S10xGN
What do those upper bars tie into? I have this dilemma on my Rambler project (with no bars) that I'm converting to an M-II based front clip and I'm curious as to what in your cowl area is rigid enough to add support for the front clip...
old mount pads. The goal with this one is to be as mild as possible while still having a drag ready street car. A very thin line on a car of this nature imo.
Old 12-03-2013, 09:37 AM
9 Second Club

Are y'all the guys out of Albuquerque, NM? Sean right?
Old 12-03-2013, 10:20 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8sten
Are y'all the guys out of Albuquerque, NM? Sean right?
That's us! Sean, Eric, Albert and myself (Grayson).
Old 12-03-2013, 05:25 PM
9 Second Club

ok i met yall out at TX2K, great work looks good
Old 12-08-2013, 05:34 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by v8sten
ok i met yall out at TX2K, great work looks good
Oh ok. The powerplant from the Land Shark is going in our 68 build. My camaro (Black and white one) should hopefully be there this upcoming TX2k event...maybe with bigger twins if money allows.
Old 12-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Teching In

Inner fenders installed with the mock motor in place.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:09 PM
Teching In

Custom fabbed long-tube headers are now in work...
really tough job because these have to look good.

These will be a tight fit against the starter to clear the body but damn they look good!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Solidtechperformance
Oh ok. The powerplant from the Land Shark is going in our 68 build. My camaro (Black and white one) should hopefully be there this upcoming TX2k event...maybe with bigger twins if money allows.
Ill be there in my beater nitrous SBC mustang. keep up the good work i like seeing these builds
Old 12-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Great job! .... much improved stance
Old 12-27-2013, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by S10xGN
Still looking for help/advice from you deuce guys on this. I have my Rambler front clip installed but would like to know about these strut bars...
Old 12-28-2013, 08:23 PM
Teching In

What size rear tires did you put on it? My 66 nova I got 275/40/17 to fit without cutting anything under the car with the factory rear end. Good build so far, I have a ls2 with tko600 in mine and love it, pretty quick for being stock motor and car only weighing 2800 lbs. I put the same front clip as you did on mine, makes the world of difference driving the car and handling. Keep up the good work and progress.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Hotrodnova66
What size rear tires did you put on it? My 66 nova I got 275/40/17 to fit without cutting anything under the car with the factory rear end. Good build so far, I have a ls2 with tko600 in mine and love it, pretty quick for being stock motor and car only weighing 2800 lbs. I put the same front clip as you did on mine, makes the world of difference driving the car and handling. Keep up the good work and progress.
we are running the 28-10.5-15's off the Land Shark for now, we are probably gonna go with some billet specialty wheels, not sure on size as of yet.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:33 PM
Teching In

Header fab.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:05 PM
Teching In

We finally reached the peak of the mountain with this build, its all down hill from here!

We finished the fab work on the headers and got them mocked up.

once the headers were finished, we decided to make this car as close to perfect as we could so we decided to fill in the holes on the firewall and paint it.

now that we have an amazing looking engine bay, it was time to drop in the motor and trans then start the install on the brake system.

so shiny!!

after about 30 trips to the parts store for lines and fittings, we finally have a complete brake system and line lock.

so what's next?? oh yeah...BLOWER BABY!!! A and A Corvettes supercharger kit should do it pretty nicely.

looking like a million bucks!! Pockets feeling the opposite though...
Old 02-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Teching In

We still have to wire up the entire car and the fuel system as well as a few little odds and ends but for the most part, she is coming along very nicely. We will be sure to keep you guys updated on our progress with this and the other builds but in the mean time..look at that classy *** ride!!!

Old 02-01-2014, 11:36 PM
Teching In

Good looking car! Is that a checkered racing front clip?
Old 02-01-2014, 11:43 PM
Staging Lane

Love the whole car. Interested to see what power this makes.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: *Build Thread* 1966 Chevy Nova II