be careful buying cars from individuals on craigslist!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2013, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default be careful buying cars from individuals on craigslist!!

I have been looking for a chevy truck 2002 or newer. I ran into this a few years ago also but not near as bad as now. I have looked at about 8 trucks in the Houston area all off of craigslist. 6 of the 8 had odometer roll back issues. When you use autocheck or carfax it will show mileage recorded any time there is an inspection or registration or title change done. this **** is getting ridiculous. Is there any thing that can be done about the people swapping clusters? Then one of the truck I went to look at was a crewcab and it had a big section cut out and welded back in the bed where the truck was smashed in the back and they cut it up to fix it. it didn't have a salvaged title but it should have.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
I have been looking for a chevy truck 2002 or newer. I ran into this a few years ago also but not near as bad as now. I have looked at about 8 trucks in the Houston area all off of craigslist. 6 of the 8 had odometer roll back issues. When you use autocheck or carfax it will show mileage recorded any time there is an inspection or registration or title change done. this **** is getting ridiculous. Is there any thing that can be done about the people swapping clusters? Then one of the truck I went to look at was a crewcab and it had a big section cut out and welded back in the bed where the truck was smashed in the back and they cut it up to fix it. it didn't have a salvaged title but it should have.
Ran into that before myself when they are older than 10yrs old they are exempt from milage any ways.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:24 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Truck I just got was the first I have ever has over 100k that had the last mileage on the title.
Old 12-02-2013, 10:25 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

But yea, I know many a salvage yards that sell clusters for the vehicles to swap. Common and that's why you don't by from.....uh.....well..... I'll just say "certain people". Many of the hood rats do this trick.
Old 12-03-2013, 01:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I found my truck on craigslist. Yes, there are a lot of crappy cars on there, but there are a couple good buys. I'm willing to bet your price range is too low, which is why you're finding junk.
Old 12-04-2013, 12:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bigfatls6
it didn't have a salvaged title but it should have.
I'm definitely no insurance expert, but the way I have understood it is that if the one who wrecked the vehicle didn't use insurance for the hackjob (which they probably didn't, based on your description of the truck you looked at), then the title remains clear.

Quick Reply: be careful buying cars from individuals on craigslist!!