Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1/T56 In IROC, Need Help Filling In Blanks

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 08:41 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS1/T56 In IROC, Need Help Filling In Blanks

Hey guys Ill try to make this as short as possible. I'm building an 89 IROC for RR/AutoX but still street legal.

I picked up an LS1/T56 dropout from an 01 SS with 77,XXX miles on it. The motor is very clean and looked to have been well maintained. The suspension is already mostly done, the T56 will be getting a Tick stage 2 rebuild, Monster stage 2 clutch/flywheel, and MGW shifter.

I have most of the LS1 build sorted out, I'm in CT and about an hour from Kehl Tech Performance who is supposed to be reputable with LSX engines. I plan to have all the machine work done there. I want to have the walls cleaned up, cam bearings replaced, and the rotating assembly balanced. This is my first LSX and I have been doing tons of research on builds to get an idea of what I need to do. Heres what I got so far.
-LS1 bottom end, stock crank/rods, ARP everywhere, ported LS6 oil pump
-PRC stage 2.5 LS6 heads with beehive's
-LS7 lifters, Drilled LS2 trays, LS1 rockers w/ trunion upgrade, hardened pushrods
-LS2 timing chain
-FAST 90 or 92mm intake/TB, FAST rails, LS6 PCV conversion
-Truck coil packs w/ heat sinks
-1 3/4 Long tubes to 4" exhaust

Now the biggest things I'm looking for input on is 1: Pistons, I'd like to get somewhere around 10:8 - 11:0 static compression with the PRC's 58cc chamber. My main question with these is what type do you recommend? I'm looking to make 480ish hp at the crank so do I go with hypereutectic or forged pistons? And what brand do you suggest?
2: Cam, like I said I'm looking for 480ish crank hp. Streetability isnt too much of a concern since it will mostly be a track car. I'm probably going to go with a custom grind from TSP. I'd like something that will give me alot of midrange for exiting corners but still have decent top end for the straights. I really dont plan on revving this past 6500rpms. So what do you guys think?
3:Lastly Injector's, for my power goals what size injectors do you think I should get? I'm used to the 43.5 psi of SBC's and not so much with 58-60psi LS1's take. I know the ford's are popular in the SBC scene, what about with LSX's?

Thanks in advnace for dealing with my long post James

Last edited by 89Iroc-Z; 12-09-2013 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-08-2013, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I would get forged wiseco pistons because you can get them with the moly coating on the sides for wear prevention.

Cam is something you need to call COMP or Edelbrock about for you desires of the motor.

Injectors could be any size you want, but in my opinion bigger is better because should you EVER decide to with a stroker assembly, or even a boosted application of whichever kind, you already have the injectors for the job and don't need to throw more money at the project. If it were me, I would go ahead and get the 60 or 80 pounders because regardless of size, unless too small, the tuning will regulate what goes into the intake and then the cylinder.

Quick Reply: LS1/T56 In IROC, Need Help Filling In Blanks