Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lq4 87 foxbody swap, pcm and wiring questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2013, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lq4 87 foxbody swap, pcm and wiring questions

Hello everyone,
Well I have an 87 notchback with a carbed 351w that spun a bearing last month, so I've been saving to rebuild the motor then recently came across the idea to swap an lq4 in it. Now I'm very familiar with carb engines but not so much with efi. The engine will be build for street and strip, so I'd like to keep the fuel injection. The motor I'm looking it comes with the wiring harness and pcm, my question is do I need to have the factory wiring harness from my notchback to splice into the new pcm? Or will just the lq4 wiring harness be enough to get everything up and running? Factory gauges don't need to work all my gauges are aftermarket. I'd like to back this engine with a 4l80e, will the pcm be compatible with this trans? And finally what hp are these pcm effiecent to? Or would I be better off with a standalone from the start. Please link me to other threads if these questions have been addressed before I had no luck finding any the specifically pertains to me
Old 12-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Teching In

You can use the harness that comes with the motor.
These are super easy to wire up like 4 wires I would get all the extra wiring stripped out that you don't need.
Or get a harness from one of the vendors I went with PSI and I am very happy with it.
As far as power goals with a stock PCM you won't have to worry about that.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:03 AM
9 Second Club

Get an entire pullout from a 2500 2wd work truck or van it will have a lq4/lq9 with a 4l80 already attached

Quick Reply: Lq4 87 foxbody swap, pcm and wiring questions