Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What would make more power with Magnacharger, 5.7 or 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 04:18 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would make more power with Magnacharger, 5.7 or 5.3

This may sound like a strange question, but considering the m112 blower seems like its a bit under sized for the 5.7 due to how hot it gets with a small pulley, would a 5.3 running the same compression, heads, cam, and other mods make more power than a 5.7 considering it will get less heat soak and make more boost? It seems like in theory this would be true, but I'm not sure if I am overlooking something perhaps and wanted to see if anyone had any real world experience.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

At the same boost levels the 5.7 should make more. Heat soak isn't the issue with power...it's the displacement of the blower.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:20 AM
Launching!

At the same boost, I agree. But on smaller displacement, the same size pulley should make more boost, shouldn't it? As an example, say you make 10 lbs on a 3.0 pulley on a 5.7, wouldn't you make more boost with that 3.0 pulley on a 5.3?

With that being the case, then you can spin the blower just as fast, create more boost, and not negatively impact your air temps from the blower heating the incoming air. From what I've heard, you generate a lot of heat from overspinning the blower beyond what the blower can run efficiently at, which is a big hurdle when trying to run higher boost.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:50 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

It's the opposite of what you're thinking. It will make more power with the bigger cubes especially since it'll be at less boost pressure moving the same amount of air.

Remember, boyle's law, pv = nrt. So if the pressure goes up, with everything else remaining the same, then the temperature will go up as well.

With all else being the same, I'd rather run more cubes, with less boost, because you will make more overall power and be less prone to detonation, which means you can throw in a degree or two more timing.
Old 12-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Launching!

I honestly wonder if you would even notice a difference in the amount of boost or power between the two. You're only talking about 21 CI between the two engines and both share the same crankshaft dimensions, piston speeds, etc... Interesting question.

Quick Reply: What would make more power with Magnacharger, 5.7 or 5.3