Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T-56 locks up in first gear

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:33 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default T-56 locks up in first gear

Needs some help recently replaced the shift fork pads, blocker rings, and 1-2 synchro assembly, 3-4 synchro assembyl due to a mcleod clutch floater plate being warpped. all internal trans parts from Tick

trans shifted smooth, 500 miles no abuse just breaking the new clutch another borg and beck Mcloed. took the car to the track on motor shifted fine 1st-3rd not issues at all, no grinds, no hiccups. Loaded the bottle up in the car made a pass wouldnt shift into second gear at 7300, pushed clutch in waited a second put the car in 2nd gear and drove to the time shack. stopped put car in 1st gear to get back my trailer and the trans would not come out fo first gear.

pulled the trans back out of the car the next day and tore it down, found nothing bound up or any metal in the case on the magnets. reassembled the trans put it back in the car. Drove around town no issues, get to work and it binds up in first gear pulling in the shop. shut the car wiggled the shifter yanked on in it and it came out of first, put it back in first gear and comes out no problem now

Anyone have any issues with that? i dont think it is hydro issues as the car was off at the track and still would not come out of gear. i was thinking maybe the 5/6th shift rail binding up on the shift shaft or some thing

car in question 2000 Camaro SS, 60k miles, t56
Old 12-11-2013, 10:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the 1-2 keys are getting stuck. I remember seeing a thread about how the 1-2 billet keys would go straight into a vette tranny but needed modifying to work properly in an f-body.
Old 12-11-2013, 06:09 PM
jmd
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Keys falling in. Ultimately, you could break the blocker ring if forcing it. Not much else could hold the blocker from sliding back.

If you have a shifter with stops, try setting them correctly and give it another run.

Quick Reply: T-56 locks up in first gear