Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Coolant leak

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2013, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Coolant leak

Evening fellas, Looks like my lower radiator hose is leaking near where the hose connects to the water pump. Its pretty we at the corner right as it goes in. I was on rockauto and saw the Gates upper and lower. I'm going to do them both, figure its better than just waiting for the upper to go out. Anyways, the Gates hoses are like half the cost of the ACdelcos. Anyone have any negative feedback on the Gates units?

Lower P/N: 23031
Upper P/N: 23030

Thanks
Old 12-12-2013, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

I think you'll be fine. Thanks for the part numbers! To be honest I have never looked at the name brand of radiator hose replacement - just as long as it fits.

Replacing those hoses are messy - no drain valve on those radiators.

Which reminds me, I have the OEM radiator that I'm about to junk or give away, no leaks but did a replacement with an aluminum one awhile ago.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Yea I noticed that... I got a big bucket so not to worry... If it end up being the radiator I may hit you up. I couldn't see any obvious cracks but I didn't get a good angle. Save the radiator till after Christmas for me, if you still have it.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well it wasn't the radiator hoses nor was it the radiator. It was one of the heater hoses coming off the Tstat housing. I replaced them both and the radiator hoses as well. Hopefully no further issues. And yea, That stupid no drain valve issue was messy. Seriously like fluid everywhere and I was being careful also.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know why any manufacturer ever, ever, ever would think it's a good idea not to have a drain. Never owned a car that didn't have one.
Old 12-23-2013, 04:54 AM
TECH Regular

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Any suggestions on where to drain it from so it's not so messy
Old 12-23-2013, 10:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well I did it from the lower radiator hose, where it goes into the radiator. Basically I tossed a bucket under there when it was on ramps. That part wasn't bad. But the heater hoses and the upper hose don't drain well so that's where the mess comes from. Have fun putting the lower hose in the little cradle on the cross member.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak