Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! clutch packs might be roast?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2004, 08:08 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default HELP! clutch packs might be roast?

4L60E Tranny, has 98k miles...when I go WOT, I have to let off the gas else it will redline if not, it eventually shifts into 3rd. I checked tranny fluid, both in park and idle, and its full. I havent done a flush/tranny filter change in like 25-30k miles or so, but fluid looks very clean.

what else can it be? should i go ahead and do another flush/filter change to see if that might be the problem? thanks
Old 05-09-2004, 01:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very likely it's rebuild time. Smell the fluid. If it smells burnt then you'll know.
Old 05-09-2004, 02:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Exactly what Colonel said. You could check to see if you have line pressure and such (via the pressure port on the case) but I'm gonna say it's time to break down for a good rebuild also.

How far do you plan to take the car performance wise?
Old 05-09-2004, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Hit Man X
Exactly what Colonel said. You could check to see if you have line pressure and such (via the pressure port on the case) but I'm gonna say it's time to break down for a good rebuild also.

How far do you plan to take the car performance wise?
i was planning on installing a TC this november, but i better fix this issue first, or hell, do the TC and rebuild at the same time.
Old 05-09-2004, 11:08 AM
Launching!

also, about how much would it cost to do a rebuild? its sunday so i cant call around
Old 05-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Restricted User

First, if the fluid is still in fair shape & there is not any black soot on the bottom of the pan away from the magnet, and this is the only problem you are having (no 2-3 WOT shift), you can probably save this. Install the "modified" Trans-Go Performance Shift kit and you can triple the oil to the 3-4 clutch pack. This has worked a good percentage of the time. o to http://pro-built.net/index.cfm?fusea...t&productid=91 this should help you.
Old 05-10-2004, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Hey Pro Built...

What can you tell me about check ball removal in certain locations in the VB of the 4L60E? I've heard to toss the one for 4th gear (No 7 ball I think) and I think it was the No 5 to help the overruns on a kickdown...

What about the one in the input shaft for coverter lockup?

Thanks!