Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1st gen F body- are body bushing/spacers required?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2013, 06:29 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1st gen F body- are body bushing/spacers required?

Hello all, I have been reading and taking notes for my planned engine/trans swap. I have noticed people on here as well as people on camaros.net and pro-touring.com have replaced their body bushings with aluminum ones- some Even refer to them as "spacers".

My question is are these a requirement to achieve clearance for exhaust, steering, and/or transmission? Or am I just reading too much into it and the reason for replacement is more due to they are accessible with the engine out? Mine are Energy Suspension and do not have many miles on them so I want to keep them if I can.

Appreciate all the info given!
Old 12-18-2013, 07:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You still need some type of 'bushing' to fill the hole in the subframe. The aluminum ones just add rigidity to the frame when using subframe connectors. I've seen these in stock height and 1/2" lower.
Old 12-18-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You need the correct height of Spacer or bushing.. This would be to keep everything from the Sub frame, Fenders and Steering (Box/Shaft) all aligned or else you will have to be re-shimming everything.

When I put my Energy Suspension bushing in. I left out some and the steering would not align.. I put them back in to re-align everything.

BC
Old 12-18-2013, 10:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

People have eliminated the sub frame bushings all together to get a car lower. You only need solid bushings if you have sub frame connectors or a cage tied to the SF. Otherwise it's just preference whether you want rubber, poly, or solid.

Quick Reply: 1st gen F body- are body bushing/spacers required?