Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Modifying timing cover for easy cam adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 08:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Modifying timing cover for easy cam adjustment

Just an idea appeared while reading some books.
What if I modify stock LS1 front cover to allow access to cam gear bolts, to allow to adjust cam timing? 2" or even smaller round opening would do the trick. Then cover it with larger aluminium sheet on 3 bolts.
Any cons to this?
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 62 Likes on 44 Posts

http://www.jegs.com/p/Edelbrock/Edel...16336/10002/-1

you could buy this???
Old 12-19-2013, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

studderin made 1 ,he just cut 1 in half with a thin blade .
Old 12-20-2013, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I realized that it will probably have clearance issues with water pump done in this way, will have to check that
Old 12-20-2013, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Somebody made one using two, cutting both, and using a milling machine to get them back to spec. Worked good from what I can tell.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:02 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

May sound like a ghetto approach but what if you just cut it above the crank seal and put it back on in two pieces using silicone?
Old 12-21-2013, 08:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Going by the weight of the cover, this cover might play role in block's rigidity, so cutting it in half might weaken the block, only slightly, but still. I don't believe GM made it that heavy just to use up extra aluminium.
Besides, there would be minimum .8" gap if I just cut it, to much to RTV, imho.
I guess I'll just leave it as it is, with no possibility to adjust cam timing
Old 12-21-2013, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I can see getting acc to the cam bolts with a NPT plug in the cover across the bolt locations, or the adjustment dial window. If you have a timming set with a adjustable upper gear, that has the turn/cam style for the adjustament. You can get some low NPT plugs,and tap the depth right so there not adding any thickness there for WP and gear clearance. But thats gona be really tight to work on looking thu the hole. I see with that, and with the other modular , acc. cover style is you need to see the lower gear to see were the chain in when doing a cam swap. So I found just removing the whole top of the cover worked best, you have to remove those bolts anyway with the 2part style. And with the gaket lip on the 2part style. (QTP,nasty,edelbrock)its thicker so you can see less down to the lower gear. You could have a bolt on plate with a difftent water pump. Im not sure of the metzire gives you more room, but its easy to use a 1/4 spacer just just stack 2-3 WP gaskets to get the room too.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

OK I abandoned the idea to modify front cover. It was actually quite doable (there was 1.7mm clearance between water pump and cover, and I have plenty of 1.5mm aluminium sheet), but I decided not to do that because I would have to drop coolant and water pump to adjust cam timing, and in the end I decided that's not what I would like doing. Neither on the dyno or on the road or strip. Also this stupid WP weighs a ton, easily 5 times more than my Nissan pump. It almost looks like GM was looking for ways to make LS1 heavier
P.S. studderin, I was thinking exactly about stacking WP gaskets for easier fit )

Quick Reply: Modifying timing cover for easy cam adjustment