Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Aem 320

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2013, 10:42 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aem 320

I bought the aem intank fuel pump for my mustang all I need to know is what else do I need? Like fuel lines do I have to have a return and how do I mount it etc. any advice would help I have no clue on the fuel system
Old 12-20-2013, 11:18 AM
Old School Heavy

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

I am not familiar with that fuel pump, but since it os an in tank fuel pump, i will assume it is high pressure. If this is correct, run a 3/8 to 1/2 line from the tank/pump to the front. Locate your regulator right next to the carb. You can use the Holley 12-203bp regulator:https://www.holley.com/12-803BP.asp .
Run a return line back to the tank of the same size.

Make sure the return line feeds to the bottom of the tank so it does not aerate the fuel in the tank.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:37 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by speedtigger
I am not familiar with that fuel pump, but since it os an in tank fuel pump, i will assume it is high pressure. If this is correct, run a 3/8 to 1/2 line from the tank/pump to the front. Locate your regulator right next to the carb. You can use the Holley 12-203bp regulator:https://www.holley.com/12-803BP.asp .

Make sure the return line feeds to the bottom of the tank so it does not aerate the fuel in the tank.
Thanks man I just didn't know what to do with the regulator/lines so I have to make a hole for the return line? Or do the factory tanks have it
Old 12-20-2013, 12:58 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Factory EFI and se carbed tanks have them but they are small, too small for return systems. They do make a kit to return to the fuel filler neck that would be a decent option.

I have always dropped the tank and put a fuel line in the pumps place and mounted an external pump and if I went bypass, I ran the return to a T fitting that was between the tank and the pump. Works great.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ZONES89RS
Factory EFI and se carbed tanks have them but they are small, too small for return systems. They do make a kit to return to the fuel filler neck that would be a decent option.

I have always dropped the tank and put a fuel line in the pumps place and mounted an external pump and if I went bypass, I ran the return to a T fitting that was between the tank and the pump. Works great.
What if I put a fuel line in the sending units place
Old 12-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Staging Lane

I bought that regulator so will it handle the 320gph pump I have?
Old 12-30-2013, 02:22 AM
In-Zane Moderator

I just use whatever size the metal line is. All my stockers have been 3/8.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Jesus Martinez
Your pump is 320 liters per hour, which works out to 84 gallons per hour. but that is at 43 psi. I'm not sure what that maps to at 6 psi carb pressure, probably under 100 gph. So according to the instructions on that holley link above you might need the larger 12-803BP regulator.

Another option would be a Mallory 4309 regulator. It is sized to work with 110/140 gph free flow pumps, which my guess is what that AEM pump is going to flow. With that large of a pump you can get by with 3/8 inch line but Mallory recommends 1/2 supply and return lines.

http://www.jegs.com/InstallationInst...0/650-4309.pdf
Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 AM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Jesus Martinez
Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
Your pump is 320 liters per hour, which works out to 84 gallons per hour.
If that is the case, and you pump is 84 gallons per hour, you will have no problem. I currently use the Holley ByPass regulator with a 140 GPH pump and it never breaks a sweat.
Old 12-30-2013, 10:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If that is the case, and you pump is 84 gallons per hour, you will have no problem. I currently use the Holley ByPass regulator with a 140 GPH pump and it never breaks a sweat.
You need to be careful. Carb pumps are typically rated at free flow while EFI pumps list the at pressure flow rating. If you look at the applications table in the instructions for the regulator you linked earlier

https://www.holley.com/data/Products...7914-3rev6.pdf

they say their 110 gph free flow pump flows 70 gph at 9 psi while their 140 gph free flow pump flows 120 gph at 9 psi. They say the smaller pump need the BP regulator while the 140 gph pump needs a completely different part number.

That AEM pump flow 84 gph at 43 psi, which means it is probably somewhere between the two pumps listed. I couldn't find a pump curve table to know for sure, it might even be closer to the 140 gph unit. So while the smaller regulator might work fine, it isn't what Holley recommends for a pump that size.
Old 12-30-2013, 12:35 PM
Old School Heavy

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
You need to be careful. Carb pumps are typically rated at free flow while EFI pumps list the at pressure flow rating. If you look at the applications table in the instructions for the regulator you linked earlier

https://www.holley.com/data/Products...7914-3rev6.pdf

they say their 110 gph free flow pump flows 70 gph at 9 psi while their 140 gph free flow pump flows 120 gph at 9 psi. They say the smaller pump need the BP regulator while the 140 gph pump needs a completely different part number.

That AEM pump flow 84 gph at 43 psi, which means it is probably somewhere between the two pumps listed. I couldn't find a pump curve table to know for sure, it might even be closer to the 140 gph unit. So while the smaller regulator might work fine, it isn't what Holley recommends for a pump that size.
Good catch. I have never seen or used the 12-704 regulator. But, I must say, I use the 12-203bp on the Aeromotive S/S pump rated at 140 GPH and have never had a problem. In fact, I have never used any other regulator and have never had a problem. However, it does not appear that the 12-704 is much more expensive. So, it would not be cost prohibitive to step up.
Old 12-30-2013, 01:48 PM
Staging Lane

Found my return line it's metal 1/4 will it work
Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 PM
In-Zane Moderator

No, I would run your own 3/8 line as a return. Wether it is aluminum or whatever. That small line will not move enough back to drop the pressure to the desired amount. They make kits that return to the filler neck or you can run it wherever that is before the fuel pump if it is external.

Quick Reply: Aem 320